Thanksgiving Night Elk

Dad got the call from the guy who is DRIVING our elk to Indiana from Colorado about 6:30 pm Thanksgiving evening.  Seems his refrigerator truck broke down and there was not another one to rent within 800 miles of Indianapolis.  So the guy wanted to get rid of the meat as quickly as possible - before it thawed. Dad said, "Come on over."

Delivery man arrived about 8:10 with 8 boxes of elk meat - 3 for Dad, 3 for me and 2 for Trent.  We loaded Dad's and Trent's elk into Dad's freezer.  We had to rearrange things in my freezer to fit all the meat in.  Dad ended up taking the deer I had stowed in mine so that the elk would fit - I ended up with 160#s of meat.

We cooked up some elk stew and grilled some elk loins for lunch, dinner, and lunch again the next day. Dad, Eric, Alex, Kathy, Shelby, Nick, Jon, me, and even Sandy had the elk - and I must say, it was delicious! Sandy had made some pumpkin pies and snicker doodles for dessert.  Perfect!

I sent a container of elk stew home with Shane before he headed back up to Michigan.  He just sent a text and told me that his wife Staci ate it - and that she loves it.  Sweet!  That means Shane gets to join us on the next trip and bag an elk for his family!  That trip right there - it will be one for the ages...can't wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks