Deer Day 18 - Sat NOV 23

Nick, Alex and I headed for the golf course at 6:40 am.  I got a text from Davey, he was in his stand on Marshall.  We parked and walked in about 7:00 am.  Nick went to the pump house, Alex to Hole #15's green and I went over to Hole #4's tee box.  Kathy?  Where was Kathy?  She stayed in bed because (a) she already has a deer, and (b) it's too cold for poor wittle Kathy.

Alex had a buck to his N at 60 yards.  They held each other's gaze as Alex attempted to get his safety off. To no avail.  The buck heard the 'click' and it ran away.  Alex had two pair of gloves on and could not pinch his safety off without making noise.  Oh well, live and learn.  At least he was warm.

Nick pushed one deer off Hole #17, but it was still too dark to see.  He then saw two on top of Hole #16 that broke S toward me, so he moved up the hill.  Mistake - that put him in the wind.

The two deer that came S, stepped out at about 150 yards, just the other side of the gas line clear cut and trotted over to Siglers.  I had a shot, but it was a moving shot at 150 yards.  I passed.  I did move from spot to spot though.  I was trying to find a location out of the wind.  It did not work.

So, although the ole thermometer said it was 28 degrees when we arrived, the wind was whipping at over 23 mph - creating a wind chill in the single digits.  It did not take me 2 hours to become thoroughly frozen.  I sent the boys a text at 9 am saying that I was cold enough, had not seen any deer in over an hour, and was heading to the truck.  I told them to stay and hunt as long as they liked, but I would be in the warm truck.

Alex sent a text to Nick asking what they should do.  Nick said, walk to me and then we'll leave.  Alex could not have been any happier for he was frozen too.

We left and did not hunt any more on Saturday.  We had a birthday party for Grant in the afternoon and the temperature continued to drop until it was 3 F at 4:00 pm.  Yep, there will be better days for hunting.

We took no pictures today because we were too cold to care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks