Deer Day 21 - WED 27 NOV - Pete's Deer

Got up early this morning and headed to Marshall's S woods with Dave.  I dropped him off at the W-end, drove around and parked at the E.  As I walked S and topped the hill E of the woods, I saw what I thought was a deer feeding.  I debated back and forth for a while because it was just too dark to tell.  Finally, it got light enough to see that yes, it indeed was a deer.

Said doe fed to the W and went into the woods.  No way I'm letting her get by me, so I took 3 steps towards the woods.  She bolted back out the way she came and I dropped to a knee.  She must have thought I was another deer because as I hit the ground, she started walking toward me.  She came up the hill to within about 70 yards and turned broadside, heading back toward the E.  I figured now or never and took the shot.

I texted Dave and he asked if we were going to leave.  I laughed.  No, we're going to hunt some more.  I walked around the S end of the woods and posted.  I watched 5 more doe come out of the swamp and 3 headed W toward Dave.  I watched them head right for the rock pile and waited for the shot.  Nothing. Dave texted that they went into the woods and came out behind him - effectively busting him.  He saw nothing but tails as they ran W.

Dave then said he was cold.  Well it was 17 F out and the wind was blowing.  I told him to walk to me to warm himself up - he quickly accepted my proposal.  When he got to me, he did not have nice things to say. Here I was out of the wind and in pretty good shape.  His honey hole had him directly in the wind - a constant 13 mph with gusts to 24 mph.  This means the wind chill this morning was between 0 and NEGATIVE 19F. Sure enough, when I stepped out from behind the woods, tears immediately formed.  It was bitter cold. Dave said, "Try sitting in that for 1.5 hours!"  Uh, No Thanks.

We walked back to the truck and drove up to where I saw my deer running after the shot.  We could trail her blood from the truck.  She didn't go 100 yards and dropped.  I tagged her and we took her to Dad's for gutting.  We did some CSI on the carcass.  The bullet entered her left shoulder and went completely through, passing out behind the right shoulder.  Her heart was cut in half.  Yep, nice shot.  But, even without a heart, she still ran 90 yards or so.  Amazing creatures.

I called Pete and told him that I had tagged a deer that I would process and give him the meat.  He was happy.  I told him I would send a picture - so this is what I sent - Your Deer is a Drunk!

Best Deer EVER!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks