Upgraded Armory

Once the children had outfitted their weapons of choice for hunting deer from my "store room," I was left with my Encore muzzle loader.  Mind you now, this is not bad kit.  Reloads are slow, sure, but that one shot can go out 200+ yards very accurately.  That was until it let me down on the large buck opening day.  Yes, yes, I know.  That was my fault.  Doesn't make me feel any better...

So I was pondering what I should get.  I could buy another rifled barrel for the 1100.  I could buy an 870 combo.  I could buy a Benelli or Winchester.  All options seemed expensive until I stumbled upon a brand new Rock River Arms .458 SOCOM upper.  We have a winner!

The .458 SOCOM (Special Operations COMmand) was developed to compensate for multiple rounds of .223 (5.56 NATO) required to stop hostiles.  It's .458" diameter or 11.63 x 40 mm and it fits on the .223 lower, using the same magazines, springs, etc from the .223 AR-15.

I dropped off the .223 upper from Nick's AR-15 and slapped this bad boy on top.  I put on a Leupold Ultimate Slam 3-9X40mm scope with BDC (bullet drop compensator) reticle scope.  I'm using 300 grain Hornady bullets running at 1,900 ft/sec, or 2,405 ft/lbf.

Not only is the legal for deer in Indiana, it's also a whale of a hog gun.  To be sure though, if you want to shoot the big boy toy, you're gonna pay the big boy prices.  Ammo runs $3 per round, if and when you can get it.  Looks like I need to order some reloading supplies.  Shout out to Geordie for loaning me 20 rounds!

I sighted it in Tuesday night.  At 25 yards, my first shot was 6 o'clock low by about a foot.  I went up 10 clicks.  Shot #2 was 6" low at 6 o'clock.  I went up another 10 clicks and backed up to 50 yards.  Shot #3 was center bull at 50 yards.  I want to be high at 50, so that I am on at 100.  I went up 5 more clicks.  Shot #4 was 1" high of center bull.  I handed it off to dad for shot #5.  He was 1" high of center bull.  Our work here is done.

I have taken the beast out twice.  So far no shots on deer.  But man do I look good not shooting deer!



Rock River arms .458 SOCOM on top of Rock River Arms .223 lower.
Leupold Ultimate Slam 3-9 power scope on top.


A close up of the .458 SOCOM bullets in the standard AR-15 .223 magazine.


The Leupold Ultimate Slam BDC Reticle.
100, 200, and 300 yard marks.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks