Deer Day 19 - Saturday 29 NOV

The boys (Eric and Nick) were either too tired or as they claimed, too ill to hunt this morning.  Poor wittle guys.  Davey and I let them sleep.  

I picked up Davey at 6:45 am.  It was 34 F with very little wind.  It was actually a nice day to hunt.  There were not many other hunters out today.

I sat in the bottoms on Marshall while Dave posted in the killing finger.  Neighbor Denis and his daughter Michelle sat in the W stand on Neal.  We saw no other hunters.

I started walking N about 9 am.  Saw nothing until I rounded the last corner to the killing finger.  I could see Davey on point.  We were about 90 yards apart.  Three deer, a spike buck, a doe, and an 8-pt buck busted N-NW from me and ran directly at Dave.  I sprinted back to the E to try and force them W.  The larger buck made it E down the valley.  The other 2 ran at Dave - who cannot shoot as 0.5 seconds ago I was down range, although he could not see me now.  He waited for them to clear - and they did, stopping broadside at 40 yards - with a house in the background.  Again, no shot.

They turned and ran North.  Dave looked for an opening to shoot through the finger and when he thought he was clear, took the shot.  See below.


Dave's harvest for this morning.


Since the boys were not with us, Davey "borrowed" Nick's 1100 shotgun - the same one that killed a tree yesterday.  Dave thinks the gun is jinxed.  I'm not sure what the limit on trees is, but I'm sure we're pretty close to going over.

Personally, I think it's just bad sportsmanship to shoot trees.  I mean really, how hard of a challenge is that?  They don't even MOVE!

We walked back out and met Denis.  He said he watched two deer run W, away from Dave and his location.  Then the hunters that are on the property SW pulled up.  They said the large doe came screaming by them after Dave's shot.  They did not shoot.  They did however say that at 0800, TWO conservation officers approached them in the woods and checked their IDs and licenses.  As they were pulling out, those same COs had two other hunters in handcuffs.  Seems they were hunting the railroad tracks and did not have licenses.  Ought Oh.  Bad day for them.

We changed clothes and then went up to the Southfork restaurant for fish, chicken wings, and rocky mountain oysters for lunch.  Of course we washed it all down with a few brews.

At the end of the day, one shot fired and three deer seen.  By the time we left lunch it was 50 F and the wind is really picking up.  Supposed to rain most of the day tomorrow - which is the last day for firearms season in Indiana.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks