Deer Day 17 - Happy Thanksgiving!

A very Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

I am thankful that we live in such a wonderful country and for all the men and women who have given their lives to protect Her or are currently serving!

And, I am thankful that our family is several generations worth of hunters who not only respect hunting, but enjoy being in God's Church trying to fill our freezer with sustenance.  Since I was 13 years old (that's 33 years ago for those of you playing the home game), I have been in the woods on every Thanksgiving Day.  That legacy continues with my children.

Dad and Cousin Shane hit Carroll County this morning while Nick, Eric and I headed for the golf course.  Kathy & Alex, RePhil and Davey all had family obligations that kept them out of the woods.

It was a calm wind, 5 mph, cool @ 24 F, and a sleet/snow mix this morning.  Eric sat on Hole #16, Nick walked down to #15's bowl, and I sat S on Hole #4.

The first shot I heard was at 7:50 am, but it did not come from us.  There were other hunters around.  I saw several squirrels and then one doe came running from the S at 8:15.  I thought something was after her and maybe I would get to shoot a coyote.  No such luck.  She was hauling at Mach 2.7 and never stopped for an opportunity to shoot.  She passed by Eric, but he had a questionable shot.  And since she was heading toward Nick, Eric passed.  Nick never saw a thing.  No shots and no deer, but fun was had by all.

We called it quits at 10 am and headed home to make Elk gravy with fresh biscuits.  Mighty fine eating! 

The boys having a Thanksgiving brewski - AFTER the hunt.
Winning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks