Deer Day 10 - Saturday 08 NOV

Alex and I left about 6:40 am and headed out.  I dropped Alex off at Vice's and he was going to stage himself in the tree farm, just S of a scrape where he had been seeing lots of deer.

I parked on Neal and walked to Marshall's top corner to hide in the fence row.  Boyd's corn was gone, but Neal's is still standing.

I stood there with my Buck Bomb going off for an hour before moving to the corner of the woods.  I heard people talking N of me on Boyd and then the blue jays went nuts.  I knew something was coming and hoped it was deer and not people.  Not so much.  I saw a red hat bouncing through the woods, coming S toward the property line.

I came out and talked with Jeremy Boyd.  He had rattled in a 10-point buck last night and stuck him clean, about four inches back of perfect (according to Jeremy), and got a complete pass-through.  The buck had traveled down the ridge and Jeremy lost the blood trail in the dark.  He was back trying to find him today.

I told him I would walk the property line E to the creek and then S to look for blood.  I hit the bottoms and ran into Norm Reily (Jeremy's uncle and land owner to the E of Marshall's bottoms).  Norm was one year ahead of me in high school, so we caught up on stories.  In the meantime, Jeremy walked by us and located his buck in the middle of the creek.

Jeremy went back to the truck to get rope and rubber boots.  He walked out into the water, tied off the buck, through us the rope and then pushed the deer into deep water.  Norm and I "floated" the buck down the creek to a place where the bank was not steep.  We then tied the rope off to the 4-wheeler and drug him back up into the field on Boyd's bottom ground.

It was a very large bodied deer, but he had two points broken off from fighting.  Here's a look:

Jeremy Boyd with his 10-point that I helped drag from the creek.


By this time, Alex was hunting S of us and had 5 doe walk in.  The came down the trail to the scrape, like predicted, but winded Alex before he could get off a shot.

All told, I saw only two deer today:  one while driving and it was too dark to shoot, and Jeremy's dead one.

Still no meat in the freezer from the 2014 Season, but that's not stopping us from going back out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks