Deer Day 20 - Sunday 30 NOV - End of Firearms

I got up this morning and did a solo hunt - all by myself.  Kathy & Alex were still in Evansville doing the Thanksgiving thing.  Nick and Eric slept in.  Davey said last night if his light was off then he was not hunting.  His light was off.

It was 6:55 am when I hit the course and 55F.  It had rained last night and there was a breeze at 17 mph from the SW.  I walked up 18, around 17, and E down 14.  I sat on top overlooking the creek.  It was a gorgeous morning and very pleasant as far as hunting conditions go.


Sunrise looking at Hole #14's green on Sunday, November 30.
The final day of firearms season in Indiana.

I've been to the Pine Barrens in New Jersey.  I've been to the high desert in Oregon and the panhandle of Texas.  I've climbed the foothills of the Rocky Mts in Cimarron, NM and DeBeque, CO.  I've been to Australia, Cancun and Hawaii.  I've even been to a State Fair and two goat ropings.  All those places have a very specific smell about them due to their flora and fauna.  But none, not one, can compete with the effluvia put forth by the Great Midwest Hardwood Forest in the Fall.  You can quote me on that.  Man I love that smell.  And with the temperature and humidity today, it was a great day to be in the woods!


Looking W, back down 14's fairway as the sun comes up.


Looking S at a prime example of Midwest Hardwood Forest.
Bet you wish this was Scratch and Sniff right about now, eh?

I sat for about 3 hours and walked out.  I heard only 2 shots from the W.  I met owner Ken at the maintenance garage.  I told him I'd seen nothing but birds and squirrels - the deer must have passed the message.

I picked up Davey at 4:30 pm and we headed back to the golf course.  Ken said that not 15 minutes after I left, 2 doe came from the W and walked right into where I came out.  I figured they were still in there.  I sent Davey to overwatch Hole #5.  I repeated my walk from this morning.

At the pump house, the birds spooked the two deer.  All they had to do was take ONE MORE STEP to the W and I could have bagged them.  They turned S.  They came up one at a time to the top of 16.  The little one crossed by Dave at 130 yards.  He did not shoot because he wanted the big one behind it.  Too bad it turned and walked E.

I too had crept all the way down to Hole 15 at the E end hoping to block them from doing exactly what that big one did.  I got there in enough time to see her white butt going across the property line and disappearing.

At this point, it was REALLY DARK.  I thought I should just walk on out - and then the rain cut loose.  It did not rain, it POURED, but only for about 15 minutes.  So we got wet.

By dark, I had walked up to Hole #16 and told Davey we needed to go have a beer.

Thus ended the Deer Firearms Season in Indiana.  We take a week off and then Muzzle Loading season opens for 3 weekends / 2 weeks.

For the first week, I will be in Cancun with my bride.  So this here blog will be silent for at least 2 weeks.  However, I will be updating my Vacation Blog from Mexico.  Go here if you want to catch up on our vacation:  http://www.rcseager.blogspot.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks