Deer Day 14 - Thursday 20 NOV

I left work a little early today to go buy a new refrigerator, as ours seems to have stopped working.  I made it home by 3:30 pm.  RePhil had to watch the grandkids, Kathy had plans, Alex was on a business trip, and Nick was working.  So, I called Pa Jerry and got him up from his afternoon napper.  We headed for the golf course at 4:00 pm.  It was 29F with 10 mph winds from the SW.

At the course, owner Ken and winter worker Dutch came out to chat.  They asked about our success and told us a story about Sandy's 2nd cousin's once-removed husband (follow that) hitting an 11-pt buck on the road just S of the course.  $2,800 in damage to his truck.  Ouch.  The corn was finally being picked to the W - finally, can you believe that?  Corn is still standing on the 20th of November!  We laughed and cut up for about ten minutes and then started walking to our locations.

I was in the grass, crunching snow and I heard leaves moving.  I figured it was the wind blowing leaves, when BOOM - Dad's gun goes off.  First off, this scared the crap out of me.  Totally unexpected.  My initial thought was that dad tripped and mis-fired.  I turned to look and dad is standing on the cart path with his gun up.  I hit the radio and dad said that a buck came running up the hill and he shot - so THAT'S the sound that I heard.  Damn.

Owner Ken came out and asked what the H was going on - as there was No Way we jumped a deer 20 yards from the truck.  Yep.  We tracked, but never found blood - which actually made dad happy that he did not wound a deer.  Said the buck was moving through the trees, he could not get his gloves off, and tried to thread a bullet through the brush to the deer.  No dice.

I went and sat on the bottoms at #17.  Dad circled #4 and #5 following deer trails and looking for blood.  We never saw another thing, but it was a beautiful evening and dad got to shoot.  Fun was had by all.  In fact, today was really enjoyable - no stress, sitting in God's church, watching the sun go down.  This was the definition of deer hunting for me.

Sun setting on Hole #17 on Thursday 20 NOV 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks