Deer Day 9 - Thursday, 06 NOV

 Well, as of last Sunday, we turned our clocks backward one hour.  Thus, sunset is 5:35 pm now.  Kinda makes it tough to get home from work and get any quality time in the woods before it's too dark.  But, I did just that on Thursday evening.  Hit the woods about 4 pm.

I walked in the bottoms at Marshall's and climbed up on top of the ridge above the creek.  I tried to get out of the wind, but was not too successful.  It was 41F with swirling steady winds at 14 mph; but gusts up to 26 mph.

I saw four squirrels - and man are they FAT.  Really stocked up for winter.  So either these squirrels are going to have any easy time surviving, or we are in for a really bitter season.  I'm taking these four could have fed a tribe of pygmies for a week.  Mama June or Sunny D and Rum sized.  And please, if you've never seen Sunny D and Rum, you must go here now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYa-pFh_sHA
Go ahead, I'll wait.  You have not lived fully until you have seen this magnificent piece of work.

I did manage to spot two turkeys walking the bottoms - away from me.

At sunset, I stood up.  I figured I'd walk out through the trees in the bottoms and hunt back to the truck.  As I did, I spotted a large doe walking down the trail toward me.  Sweet!  I squatted back down and lined up the crossbow.  All she had to do was make the turn around the corner and I would have a 10 yard shot.  After 10 minutes, I stood back up.  She had turned around and was feeding S, away from me.  So has gone our luck for this season.

I returned home with just enough time to eat something before heading off to Poker Night.
Solid Day.


Looking NE from Marshall's across creek to Vice's.
Beautiful Fall Evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks