Day 8 - Monday Oct 8

Tonight, Kathy and Alex came up to hunt again.  We headed for Neal / Marshall at 4:45.  It was 57 degrees and sunny.  As you can see from the picture, not too cloudy.  Kathy used the crossbow tonight and I took my horse bow out.  I had forgotten how light it was - especially compared to the crossbow.

Kathy and Alex ready to go afield.  Kathy is holding my horse bow outfitted with snake skin camo.

And, it was a far cry from this morning, where the temperature was 29 degrees F.  Yikes!

Look closely, that's my truck reading 29 F this morning at 6:26 am.

Neal's beans were being finished tonight, so once again I sent Kathy and Alex to the Boyd / Marshall / Neal line next to the standing corn.  I stalked around the edge of the entire corn field.  Just for the record, it is nearly impossible without some serious skills to stalk a standing corn field when it's dry.  Holy cow - I sounded like a herd of elephants in there.  Needless to say, I saw tons of fresh tracks, but no deer were pushed out ahead of me.

I met the other two hunters at the property line and we walked out the now picked bean field.  Well, in the meantime, the farmer to the West decided to pick his standing corn.  If we'd only known that, I would have put them in the stands.  As it turns out, we saw 11 deer in the now picked bean field, running around the two stands on Neal.  Kathy had one walk across Boyd to her North, but we do not have permission to hunt there.  Thus, no shots were fired this evening.

On our way back to the truck, the combine (with the bean head still on) was parked near the road.  City boy Alex had to have his picture taken ON the combine.  New experience for him.  The low light made it difficult, but we did our best.

 Darkness is falling as Alex climbs up on the combine.

Turned on the flash to get a better picture.  Still not the best quality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks