Day 5 - Oct 5

It's Friday, day 5 of October and Indiana's Archery Hunting Season.
Re-Phil came over at 4:45 and we headed for the golf course.  It was raining and 42 degrees out.  And when I say it was raining, I mean it was RAINING...


We parked at Deer Track and walked the golf course back to the E end.  Re-Phil and Nick walked in the woods behind Hole #6.  Re-Phil took the big platform stand and Nick took the willows.  I walked into the woods behind Hole #7 and stood on a ridge.  It continued to rain.

Nick saw a squirrel.  I saw a raccoon.  Nick got wet and cold quickly, so took to stalking the willows.  It got dark early in the woods due to the cloud cover.  I called "Uncle" at 7:10.  I couldn't see anything, my hands were numb, and I was wet.  I walked out.  Nick was right behind me.  We took a picture under the awning at the restrooms on Hole #7 and then we headed to the truck.

Re-Phil had too many clothes on to feel his phone vibrate.  Besides, he didn't want to get it out and get it wet.  Thus, he had no clue that we had left the woods - even though we sent him NUMEROUS text messages.

At the truck, I spoke with Ken, the course owner.  He thinks we're nuts for being out in this.  He's probably not alone in that thought.

Hey, you can question our judgement and our sanity, but you certainly cannot question our dedication to try and put venison on the grill.

Re-Phil finally arrived at 8.  He stayed in the stand waiting on Nick, who never came by.  He did get to see a deer standing on Hole #5 on his way out.  But in his own words, "Who's the Idiot?  Me."

I had marinated last year's kill prior to heading out.  So upon my return, I grilled deer loins and washed it down with a Sam Adams' Octoberfest.

 Picture out of focus due to all the rain.
Facing E on Jenkins.

 Nick and me at the restrooms on Hole #7 - soaking wet and cold.
Yes, that is rain on my glasses.  And Nick could wring water out of his gloves.

A dinner fit for royalty.  It's good to be the King!

Comments

  1. OK, rub it in, why don't you? I'm just a teeny weeny bit jealous (read that as "mega jealous"). The last time I had such a fabulous looking plate of food in front of me was ... oh yeah ... the last time I was at your place!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks