Finally - The Deer Woods - Day 1 - 11/5/2019

Finally we have run out of excuses to hit the deer woods.  First it was too warm, then too wet.  When it cooled down, then it was too windy.  Put it all aside...

RePhil and I went out on Tuesday evening.  I headed to Marshall's bottom ground while RePhil sat up in the wind on Neal.

It was 3:45 pm when we got out there because we had to put new batteries in the crossbow scope, shoot it in, all of course after finding it in the back corner of the basement - talk about being unprepared.  It was 45F with brisk winds from the SW.  And I still don't know where I hid all my face paint...

After an hour of walking, I was not yet at the N-side of Bailey's house.  However, one squirrel and two doe busted me.  So I decided instead of going N - through the VERY NOISY leaves - that I would head E and sit along the creek.

The Path N that I should have taken to the opening up there...

And the Path I chose to take, E, and later to regret...

I made my way to the opening and sat.  I saw an owl land and then what I thought was a young buck rubbing a tree.  Young because it was 4:30 pm and I did not figure big bucks would be out yet.  Wrong again.  It was a Monster!  Rack stuck out farther than the body.  Big, Big, Boy!  All I could do now was hope he came E because there were 5 doe and another 8-pt buck with him.

I watched them for an hour before they meandered off to the S.  I was NOT dressed for sitting and was frozen solid.  But I dared not move or I would blow any chance I had.  Turns out I didn't ever get a chance.  50 yards is all the closer they would come.  Some may believe that to be an ethical shot for them and more power to you.  I was not confident that I could make a clean kill through all the brush at that distance, so no arrows were loosed.  My call to make - and I owe it to the animals to make the best shot I can.  I believed 50 yards was too far tonight.  With a rifle or shotgun?  Buck on the wall!

I texted RePhil.  He had seen nothing all night.  We agreed to meet back at the truck for beers and bourbon.  

It was fortunate for Sandy that I did not pick the right path.  That big ole boy would have cost her at least $500 to mount!  Success none-the-less.

A beautiful Fall evening in Clinton County

Looking back to the NE over the bean field.
There are at least 2 Shooter bucks and several doe in them there woods, somewhere...

The sun going down over the corn field

Yep, the corn is still in, but sure makes a purty picture

The celebration at the truck on another successful night in the woods!
Leinkuegel's Octoberfest and Hotel Tango's Bravo Bourbon. Cheers!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks