Deer Firearms - Opening Day

Five of us hit the golf course for the deer firearms season 2019 opener on Saturday, NOV 16.  Kathy sat on 4, Alex sat over-watch on 5, Nick was on 16, Eric was in 15's bowl, and I sat overlooking 17's fairway.  It was dark and 35 degrees.

The first shot went off at 6:56 am.  This is unusual, as legal light was not until 7:05 am.  I hoped no one just shot themselves climbing into their stand.

Action was quick, hot and heavy for about 30 minutes.  Nick took two shots at doe.  There were shots S of Kathy, that I thought were her shooting.  Eric busted a small doe.  I heard Aaron shoot over on Jenkins property.  Basically, deer were running everywhere.

Me?  I saw one doe heading W and then S that eventually passed Alex.  And I had a fox come trotting by.  I tried to get a picture, but it was not interested in that.

Things slowed down for about an hour.  Except for Kathy who had a hunter and then 4-wheeler pass by.  I called her over to my spot and I walked to 12 - where normally there is another hunter to the N.  He was absent today.

At that time, Nick saw a large-bodied, small-rack (6 pt) buck heading W.  It passed between me and Kathy.  It was too far for her to shoot and when it stopped W of me, the houses were directly behind it.  No shots fired at the buck.  Later on when I talked to RePhil (he was hunting with Aaron on Jenkins), he had that same buck just 20 yards from his stand.  He chose not to shoot it since Indiana is a 1-buck only state.  He did not want to burn his tag on that small buck.

One more small doe came running by me before it was time to leave.  Kathy had to be back to go shopping with the girls and the boys had to return to watch children.

We were home by 10.  I had made venison stew on Friday and we all had a bowl or two of that for lunch.  Tasty.

Sunrise on the golf course this morning

This is where I sat today.  The red arrow indicates where a red fox
attempted to sneak up on me.

Eric down in 15's bowl with his doe.

Loaded up and ready to haul to the barn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks