Doves Day 2 - Sunday 8 SEP

We attempted a second time around on dove hunting here at the Seager Ranch.  Sunday morning, Sept. 8 @ 0730, five of us spread out along the lane.  Saw a rainbow early.

Shooting was fast and furious for the first two hours.  Instead of 1-2 doves coming in at a time, we had flocks of them - like 10 - 15 coming in.  Most times, not many died.  Some times though we got lucky and bagged a few.  We even saw ducks and pigeons flying.  One duck came right over our heads at about 10 yards.  Would have been an easy kill shot if only duck season were in.

I will admit, I it took me at least ten shots (maybe 15) before I got in the groove.  We're talking zero birds for 15 shots fired!  The guys started calling me 'RePhil!'  But then, I found my groove.  Didn't miss much after that.

Davey, Michael, Zach, Alex, and I did better than the seven of us that hunted opening day.  We didn't add as many birds to the larder as opening day, but our percentage was higher.  25 more doves have been vacuum packed and are waiting a year-end Wild Beast Feast.  I could not keep them all as that would put me over the possession limit.  Thus, I have shared until the time comes to consume them.

The rain started coming in about 9:45.  Very light.  But that shut the birds down.  The rain stopped and so did we at 10 am.

We had a great time.  Told a few more lies.  And enjoyed Davey's Smirnoff red, white and berry vodka-spiked lemonade as a refreshing drink to end the hunt.


Rainbow with a flock of pigeons flying by (center)


(L-R) Yours truly, MPK, Davey, Zach, & most of Riley in foreground
Not pictured - Alex, who had to leave for church
Chin-up photo just for RePhil (it makes you look taller!)



Mix with lemonade.  Dangerously good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks