Canned Jalapenos / Bourbon Snob / Deer Steaks

Sunday afternoon.  4:30 pm  September 29, 2019.

One of Sandy's coworkers & friend passed along a bag of jalapenos for me to can.  So I did.  Washed them, cut them up, put them in Mason jars, and then covered them with a boiling mixture of 1/3rd water, 1/3rd vinegar, and 1/3 sugar.  The vinegar acts as a preservative and the sugar sweetens the peppers & reduces a bit of the heat.  I seal them up and then boil them on the stove - rolling boil for at least 5 minutes.  I do not use the pressure cooker for these.  The jalapenos will stay in the jar for at least 3 months, but preferably 6 months before opening to enjoy.  Must plan ahead so you do not run out!

Three jars of jalapenos.  The bag in front holds the left-overs that
would not fit in the jars.  I am going to smoke them.
Note the difference in color from the 'cooked' jalapenos versus the
fresh ones in the bag.  Two shades of green.

As I am typing this blog, I sit here in front of my screen while sipping Hotel Tango's Bravo Bourbon.  It's on the more expensive side, like $54 / bottle, but it is a nice, smooth bourbon and I do so enjoy it.  And I am such a snob that I use a single spherical (ball) ice cube.  Got me an ice tray to specifically make these ice balls.  A tad bit over-board, but I'm worth it!

Hotel Tango distillery is located in downtown Indianapolis
and is veteran owned and operated.
Neat place - great product!


I am also running back & forth to the microwave.  I have 8 deer loin steaks and a ribeye defrosting.  I am about to marinate them and put them into the vacuum sealer.  All of this I will throw on the grill for dinner tonight.  It feels good to know that the deer I killed last season are still feeding me as this deer season is about to kick off.  Nothing wasted and mighty tasty.  No preservatives, no hormones, no vaccines, just wild corn-fed venison!  Tough to beat.  So yeah, it's good to be me for once.

Picture copied from the internet, but this is what I am about to make.
So glad I grew up learning how to hunt, fish, and respect the land & animals.
Tonight's bounty came about through a lot of effort, skill, and some luck.
How truly fortunate I am!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks