Sighting in Ruger .243

The question asked around the house is, Do you really need another gun?  The answer is moot.  I got one, a Ruger Precision Rifle in .243 caliber.  Take a look:





Today wasn't actually ideal for sighting in a rifle, but I made it happen.  The temperature was 50 degrees F when I ended the session.  The wind was blowing W to E at 6 mph.  I used 58 grain Hornady A-Max Superformance varmint loads to get on paper.  Then I shot for groupings all at 100 yards.

5-Shot groups at 100 yards
The 58 gr gave me a 0.99" spread.
Factory 80 gr bullets yielded 1.67"
Fusion  95 gr bullets posted a 1.00" spread with two bullets in one hole.
Krueger's handloads of 95 gr Sierra Match King bullets posted a 1.05" spread.
**All measurements taken with a digital micrometer and measured center to center.

Of note, I did not change my point of aim for any of the ammo tested.  As you can see below, Krueger's rounds shot left (purple circle).  I adjusted my scope (bottom right, top two rounds, red circle) with a 2-shot group of 0.19" and then shot a 3-round group of 0.46" (bottom three shots on lower right of target, green circle).  



As you can tell, the gun is more capable than I am.  It's guaranteed at half minute of angle (0.5 MOA) which means 1/2 and inch at 100 yards.  I got that.  

I still need a little practice with it.  But it appears as though if you are larger than 1" at 100 yards, you are in danger of getting shot with this set-up.  That will surely dispatch a prairie dog or two!

I have ordered parts to start reloading my own ammo.  More practice will get me hitting tighter groups I hope.  Regardless it will be fun to try.

I am toying around with chopping the 26" barrel down and putting a suppressor on this beauty.  Even though the barrel is threaded, I do not want to ADD length to an already very long gun.  Instead, I think I will keep the overall length of 26" by cutting the barrel and adding the suppressor.  Should still provide the same results with less noise - making it even more awesome!

Comments

  1. I don't understand the question, "Do you really need another gun?"

    It looks really sweet. Can't wait to try it out one day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks