Hunt Day 8 - Sunday, 15 NOV - Success!

Alex had church and Nick was ill, so Dad and I went out to the golf course.  It was a much nicer day today, with the temp at 44 F and the wind only slight.

Dad sat in a chair at #17 senior tees watching N, W, and E.  I went back to #4.  And we saw nothing.  Dad suggested we walk our own up.  So I headed to 15 then down 14 back to Dad.  Nada.  We called it at 9:30 and took yesterday's deer up to Simpson.

This is looking back NW.  I sat in that woods across the bridge yesterday morning.
As you can tell, once the sun comes up, it's difficult to see back in this direction.
This morning I sat where that deer crossed yesterday.
Hole #4.  Sunday 15 NOV 7:30 am.

I went back out at 4:15 pm.  Drove out to Marshall's since I saw Harold picking corn earlier today.  He was done when I arrived.  It's 55 degrees.  I have dressed very light.

I sat in Davey's old stand in the Killing Finger for about an hour.  It was creaky and the animals had chewed up all the padding.  I got down and walked E around the point to the still standing corn.  I had the sun at my back, just like the Outlaw Jose Wales.

I jumped 3 doe immediately around the corner and they walked E.  No shots.  However, 3 more joined them from the S - watching the 3 I kicked.  The older one saw me and bobbed her head trying to figure out what I was.  I did not move.  She convinced herself I was harmless and turned N or broadside to me.  I let a .458 SOCOM round fly.  Caught her in the front shoulder, through both lungs, 1/2 the heart and out the other side.  She didn't go 40 yards.  Meat in the freezer!

Geordie Hester - if you're reading this, I cheated on the location to hunt tonight.

The .458 SOCOM means business!

I text mama (and by mama I mean the boss, the wife, she who must be obeyed) that I need to run this deer up to Simpson due to it being so hot (I didn't want it to spoil).  She already had dinner on.  I suggested we save it for tomorrow and we eat dinner at Treece's.  Good plan, and as all of this is being texted back and forth, I am trying to take a photo of the sunset.  I get a few good ones and then DROP my PHONE.  The phone that I had previously taken the case off of due to its bulk.  Damn.  Doesn't look too bad.  Screen still intact.  Until I try to take another picture.  I have broken off the camera cover.  See results below.

Sunset Sunday, Nov 15 - before phone hits asphalt 

Sunset Sunday, Nov 15 - after phone drops on road and cracks cover

Guess I'll head for AT&T tomorrow and get a new phone.  Not to worry, tribe is going to eat.
Turned her into loins and salami for Dad, DC, and Shane.  Dad says "Woo hoo, I don't have to hunt!"

Looking back through the blog, the last deer I actually shot was Wednesday, 27 NOV 2013.  That's almost 2 full years ago.  It's been a long time coming.  I was due.  Monkey off my back for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks