Hunt Day 10 - Sat, NOV 21 - Afternoon

So the snow kept on coming and coming and coming.  By 2 o'clock we had about 3" on the ground.  Dad calls and says, "Where we hunting tonight?"

Nick is still ill and Alex has plans with his parents, so I load up and go get Dad.

He carries a chair into Vice's and sits under a tree by the creek.  I park and walk the bottoms on Marshall.  We arrive at 2:30 pm.  There is only the slightest hint of any wind.  It's 30 F.  Just a pleasant day to be out.  Shucks, it sher was purty too...

Since there was no wind, the snow fell straight down and collected, almost like in a snow globe.  And it was wet and heavy.

Wet and heavy snow collecting on the trees

It took me an hour and 15 minutes to walk to the first finger N of Bailey.  I walked W and sat for a bit.  I then continued N.  After two hours I did a radio check with Dad.  He thought he could tough it out until sunset.  I continued W.

On top, facing NE on Marshall's.
That point in the center - over the ridge is Pete's Buck and across the creek from that
is where Dad is sitting on Vice.

I walked out the killing finger and chased a lone doe N onto Boyd - that's the only deer either of us saw.  That wet & heavy snow sure made for some difficult walking.  My little phone said I have "met my challenge" today relative to steps taken.  That POS needs to take into account the difficulty rating of what's being walked.

I drove around to pick up Dad right at sunset.  He came out all soaking wet.  All of the snow that the tree couldn't hold fell down on him.  He said he weighed over 300 pounds walking out in all those wet clothes.  And yes, he was ready for a beer.

Note all the water on Dad's coveralls as he walks out of Vice's tree farm
What a big difference 9 hours can make - everything is now all white!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks