Deer Day 8 - Oct 14 - More Socializing...

Met up with Kfir at 4:00 pm.  We changed clothes and hit the woods by 4:30.  Kfir walked N to the stands on Neal, stalking with his horse bow and primitive arrows.  I took the crossbow and walked the road to the bottoms...which I made 2 hours later...

Harold was working on the head of his combine.  The head leveling bar had fatigued enough that it broke, not allowing the grain head to level itself and constantly slipping a belt.  He had to order a new part.  So while it was in pieces, I took the opportunity to learn about grain heads.  Holy cow, there are a lot of parts and pieces that go into that thing.  No wonder new ones cost about $10k.


Harold and I chatted like old maids in the hair salon, covering topics from Obamacare to gossip of the town. I hiked on, but stopped to chat to the owner of the house right next to Dan.  Hadn't met him before.  Forget his name, but Gary Lahrman's wife's brother and this guy hunt Lahrman's property S and W of Marshall.  He also said that he has two doe feeding under his pine trees about 2 or 3 times per week.

Dan was in his barn, so I stopped to get details on his motorcycles that are for sale to pass along to a buddy at work.  I met two more guys in Dan's barn - again, not remembering their names.  One of them was retired from Lilly's Tippecanoe Labs.  He chatted me up about all the changes that have been made since it was sold to Evonik.

I walked on, and finally made it to the tree farm at 6:00 pm.  A little later than I had planned - okay, a LOT later than I had planned.  I stalked to the N end and sat for all of about 20 minutes before it got too dark to shoot.

Kfir texted me and said that he had jumped a doe just S of the W stand on Neal.  It was really dry and very difficult to walk quietly.  We met back at the truck at 8.

On our drive out, we saw mama and her twins in the road at the stream on Lahrman's W end.  There, I saw some deer.  Good day.

The crows were ganging up again.  There had to be over 50 of them.  I never saw what got them stirred up, but they were having a riot.  I used their noise to help cover some of my steps.

On the walk out, I had a V of 16 geese fly over.  I considered for a second trying to bag one with the crossbow.  However, season is not in and that is not a legal weapon.  It would be a great shot though and might get me bragging rights for several years.  They were definitely within shotgun range.  The risks, however, do not outweigh the penalties and no shots were taken.

No plans to get back out until the week-end.  Work is getting in the way with late meetings.

As RePhil likes to say, every hunt is a blessing 'cause you never know when it will be your last.  Amen Brother RePhil, Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks