Deer Day 11 - Thurs 25 OCT

Me, Davey and Re-Phil hit it today.  Re-Phil to Garney's and me & Dave to the golf course (adjoining properties).  We met at Dave's for coffee at 7 am.  We hit the woods by 7:30.

Dave and I jumped a doe off Hole #1 as we were walking in.  As we split up, with Dave going to #15's green, I walked over the #4 tee box, and the doe we jumped kept step with me.  She followed me East on Sigler's property, snorting all the way.  When I got to where I was going to sit, she came to the property line, 60 yards away, but not on property we could hunt.  Besides, that's too far for archery anyways.

Dave saw 6 turkeys walk out from the creek, cross #15's green, and walk up the cart path to the S.  As he was putting them in his binoculars, two doe crept in behind him. They saw his movement and spooked 20 yards to his S.  That's what you get for not paying attention!

Davey texted Re-Phil to let him know deer were about.  Unbeknownst to us, Re-Phil was in the honey hole. He had 7 different deer within 20 yards of his stand, but since all the leaves are still up, he was never offered a shot.  Truth be told, I bet he was sleeping and never saw a thing - Big Liar!

About 8:00, the course maintenance crew started making their rounds.  I had the Carry All come by at 50 yards - he never saw me.  Then along about 8:30, I looked E and there stood a Dandy 8-pt buck - one I was willing to burn my single buck tag on.  He was heading N along the creek at 90 yards.  By the way, since missing the buck earlier, I am now carrying my range finder - and that's how I know all these yardages.

Too bad the leaf blower, or as Dave calls it, the Jumbo Jet, was coming around the bend.  Mr. Big Buck took off at a trot back to the S to Sigler's from whence he came.  Again, he was too far for a shot, but at least I got to see him.

Davey called it quits at 10.  We headed back to his house, grabbed our supplies and headed to my place to BBQ venison brats for lunch.  Naps were taken by all.

It was spitting snow at 41 degrees with some mist/rain/sleet mixed it.  It was only 45 by 10 and that was as warm as it would get today.  The wind picked up, and so I wisely decided NOT to go back out tonight.

T-minus 3 days and counting to our Elk Trip.  Better get some deer in the freezer before then.

Shotgun season is 3 weeks out.  And had it been shotgun season today, we would have had PLENTY of deer in the freezer.  Regardless, we had a great time in the woods with friends and that's the definition of a Good Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks