Deer Day 5 - Wednesday OCT 9

It's warmer again today.  Kathy, Alex and I headed out about 4:15 pm, it was 74 F.

As I dropped them off at the usual parking spot on Neal, Marshall was there firing up the combine to pick his beans.

The kids walked N to sit in the stands and I walked E to go sit the bottoms along the creek.

Since it's so warm, the deer decided to stay in their beds.  Why?  Because they can.  There's no need to come out before it cools off to eat - stay inactive during the heat and move at night.  At least that's what they did for us.

As I sat along the creek, I got to hear some belted kingfishers chattering and catching their evening meal.  Do you all know what a kingfisher sounds like as he catches minnows?  Well, I'll tell ya.  It sounds just like a deer jumping through the creek.  Add to that the squirrels running around and I thought I was being attacked by a herd of elephants.  Got the adrenaline flowing, but no deer.

The belted kingfisher

 And on top of that, the constant rattle they make becomes quite annoying.  Go here and click on Typical Rattle.  http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/belted_kingfisher/sounds  That sound is now forever locked in my head.

And yes, I could have limited out on squirrels.  Reminded myself to take along my suppressed .22 pistol to pop a couple next time out.  In case you were wondering, Indiana has made hunting with a suppressor legal. Thus, I should not scare off the deer (if there even are any) if I shoot a squirrel or two.

Then the crows came - about 30 of them.  Noisy and quite hyper.  Looked like they all had consumed some 5-hour energy drinks or something.  The would not sit still.  Caw, caw, caw.

Nothing was going on, so I took some pictures from my vantage point atop a ridge line.  A bit blurry, as the camera did not know what to focus on.

Looking E, down along the creek

Looking W, back up toward a bean field

I loaded up my gear about 7:20 and started my walk back out.  Kathy & Alex were already at the truck and said they would drive down and pick me up at the bridge - so I didn't have to walk the half mile back up to them.  They said that it gets darker in the woods earlier - which I believe.  And it does become more difficult tracking a deer at night.

As I hit the bottoms, I heard the geese calling.  A flock of nearly 25 flew over from the E toward the W.  I stopped to watch them in their typical V pattern.  And there was a huge doe feeding in the clearing, just due S of where I was sitting.  She was too far for a shot and spooked S as I made my way out.  At least I saw a deer - which equals a good day in the woods.

While we were driving back W toward Mulberry, there was one lone deer standing in the hay field E of Dog's house.  I pointed it out to Kathy, but since Alex was driving, he did not get to see it.

While we thank the Good Lord for the wonderful world He has created and greatly appreciate any opportunity to commune with Him in nature,we wouldn't mind if He sent a deer or two our way.  We've paid our dues.  Time to feed the family.

Still hunting...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks