Day ?? - Thanksgiving 22 NOV 2012

First of all, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Us ins?  We've got a lot to be thankful for.  Since I was 13 years old, I've been hunting with my Dad, Uncle, and Cousin on Thanksgiving Day.  That's some 21 odd years straight now.  We scarf lunch meat sandwiches, candy bars, beef jerky, and crackers for our Thanksgiving meal.  And really, it is a treat!

I'm thankful that everyone is still around to enjoy it with me.  Plus, we all make it a priority to do so.

Since the beginning, we've added folks here and there and lost a few too.  Grandpa Robert Seager used to go with us until his body wouldn't let him anymore.  Nick's goes most of the time, but he's missed a few because he picked sleep over hunting.  I think we've broken him of that though.  And every other year now, we're adding son-in-law Alex to the mix (family obligations on his side keep him away on the even years).

As is our usual custom, we headed up to Carroll county to meet at Uncle DC's barn.  We hit the woods by 7:10 - making sure it was light so we don't get shot by the Blues.

I hit the swamp.  Dad and Nick posted the bridge.  Shane and DC took Shank's E end - with DC at The Killer Stand.

I busted one VERY LARGE buck out of the swamp back at Nick and Dad.  Ended up I ran 3 bucks by Dad and Nick.  Dad said they were "hauling the mail."  Nick's words were 'they passed by at Mach 12.'  Nick ended up shooting a small 4-point buck with a nice body.  Bigger than the doe I killed.

Everyone else stayed put while Nick and I gutted and hauled the buck out.  We drove it up to Simpson's in Young America and then came back to pick those guys up.  We called it over by 11 so folks could get to their respective family gatherings.

Deer down = a successful day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks