Ferris IS2000Z Maintenance

You know, there is a lot of good information out there on the 'internets.'  But not everything is there, and not all of it is useful.  I am guilty of some of both of those as well...

My Ferris IS 2000Z had an intermittent problem with the blades not wanting to engage.  You could pull the PTO switch and nothing.  Jiggle it a bit or move it and sometimes the blades would come on.  Well, this past Sunday afternoon, it decided not only that it would not come on, but that it would send a signal that the blades WERE on so the mower would not start.

I hit the Google to find out what part I should buy.  Amazon was very helpful; not only did they show pictures, but offered technical guidance on what switch to buy.  That bit was easy.  I picked two-day shipping and the part arrived in the mail Tuesday.  $17 and some change.  No worries.

So, to change a PTO or blade switch on a Ferris mower, or specifically a Ferris IS 2000Z, you lift up the seat and unscrew the three bolts (allen heads) that hold the console in place.  There are two screws on top and one on the side by the seat belt - that's why you lifted the seat, so you could get to it.  At this point, the console is free to move, but still wired to the engine.  No worries, you will have enough room to remove the old switch.

Unplug the wires from the PTO switch.  Now, the switch is held in place by friction.  You need to pinch the top of the switch to push in the tabs and then push the entire switch it out, away from the console, or up.  Jiggle it a bit, it will come out.  Push your new switch down from the top and into the hole.  Reconnect your wires and then screw the console back into place.  This is a simple, 5 minute job.

Amazon can help you get the right PTO switch for your mower.

As I attempted to start the mower back up, the engine chugged as the battery was almost dead.  I plugged in my battery charger and connected it to the mower's battery.  It showed a full charge.  Okay, after 5 years of use, that old battery owes me nothing.  I drove into town and picked up a new battery for $54 with the core trade-in.

Of note on lawn mower batteries.  In order to engage your PTO on a Ferris IS 2000Z, you need a battery that has a minimum of 300 cold cranking amps (CCA).  From the factory, mine had 360 CCA.  The new one I bought has 450 CCA.  And let me tell you, she starts like a champ now!

So now you ask, how do you change the battery on a Ferris IS 2000Z?  Great question.  There is not information in the manual and not much of anything on the Google.

The first thing you do is lift up the seat and disconnect the battery.  Slide the rubber hold-down out of the way.  Then you will notice that there is no way to extract the battery.  It is locked into place by all kinds of tubes, engine parts, and frame bracing.  So what do you disconnect?

I started with the frame brace above the battery.  I disconnected one side and then flipped it to the other side, out of the way.  Turns out that the battery would have cleared this bar, and you do not need to perform this task.

You do need to remove the four bolts that "hold the seat belts," connecting the frame brace and fan shrouds to either side.  Not the ones actually on the seat belts, but on that frame holding the seat belts.  See picture.  And if I recall correctly, you will need a metric wrench and socket set - size 11mm.  The nuts are of the locking type.  It will take some time and effort to remove them.

You can see the battery in the middle back - and there is no way that sucker is coming out.
Remove the four bolts holding the frame of your seat belts in place, 
then this whole unit will lift up (seat belts and all), out of your way.

Once those four bolts are gone, push that piece out of your way (I turned mine clockwise), and you will have plenty of access to your battery.  Repeat in opposite to install new battery.

I do consider this to be maintenance and not faulty manufacturing.  I do not blame Ferris for these issues.  Parts wear out.  Batteries do not last forever.  I just wish there were better instructions for working on this equipment somewhere.  None of this was in the manual.  I figured it out by trial and error.  And that, my dear subscribers, is why I am documenting this and using the words Ferris and IS 2000Z a lot.  I am hoping that the next time someone Googles how to do this work, they will find this blog and it will be more helpful to them.

Just passing it on.  And by the way, I do consider my Ferris to be the best riding lawn mower on the planet.  While mine was down I used Dad's old Kubota.  Rough riding SOB.  Great mower with lots of power, but wow, rough.

I am looking at moving this one along and buying an upgrade.   I think I already have a taker - my son-in-law, who is currently mowing with a Bobcat.


Ferris mowers provide 4-wheel independent suspension for one AWESOME ride!

Comments

  1. Hi. I have this same machine. But I cannot figure out how to raise the seat to access the bolts.
    If you are still getting messages, I would appreciate a tip. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you pull forward on the back of the seat, it will swing out of the way.

      Delete
  2. I have the same make and model but when I turn my key it clicks but wont start or crank over. I brought a brand new starter and solenoid and battery and still nothing. My hour clock doesn't come on and nothing engages

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks