Beautiful Day - Why Not Sight In?

It was 75 degrees F on the way home Wednesday afternoon, and hit 80 according to the thermometer in the truck.  Wind was a bit gusty, but what the heck?  With weather this great in mid-October, one should shoot in shotguns, rifles, and muzzle loaders (I wanted to say "4-wheel drives" for all you Bocephus fans out there - A Country Boy Can Survive!).

So I took:  my muzzle loader, my .458 SOCOM, Alex's muzzle loader, Nick's shotgun, and my 20 gauge shotgun (as back-up) to the range to get sighted in.  Nick was home, Alex was not.

Nick shot in his 12 ga.  It took 3 shots.  I shot in the 20 ga.  That took 5 shots.  I shot in the .458 SOCOM - which took 3 shots, but then Nick wanted to shoot it.  He and I put a bullet through the same hole!  I'd say it's on.

Next came the muzzle loaders.  I had bought a used Traditions for Alex to use, so we have been experimenting with bullets and powder charges.  Regardless of the charge, I could not get Hornady's FPB bullets to hit paper at 60 yards.  I do not know what I was doing wrong.  I have other muzzle loading friends who swear by these bullets.  I must have been crushing them or not seating them or something.  Regardless, I gave up on these bullets.
Hornady's FPB muzzle loading bullets



So I switched to the Hornady Powerbelts.  These are nice, since you do not need a sabot for them.  They load easy and they shoot lights out!


Hornady Powerbelt muzzle loading bullets

It only took me two shots with these Powerbelts to get the muzzle loader sighted in.  Too bad I had already shot ten times with the other bullets.  Now I have a muzzle loader to clean again.  My muzzle loader took ONE shot.  Dead on.  Good to go.

After Alex got home, he changed his barrel and put his scope on his shotgun.  We went back to the range and he sighted his in.  5 shots and we're ready to rock.

All told, we have 6 guns ready for deer season and we did it in some wonderful weather.  We have war stories about sleet, freezing rain, and snow blowing in sideways the day before gun season opens and we're out there sighting in guns.  No more of that.  Too old and smart.  Take advantage of what Mother Nature gives you.  Winning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks