The Best Duck I Ever Ate...

In the September/October issue of Ducks Unlimited magazine, on page 16, is a recipe for "The Best Duck I Ever Ate."  Since I'm out of ducks, I substituted Cornish Game Hens in their place and tried it out tonight for dinner.

I followed the bit about browning the "ducks" in olive oil, but then I switched and put them in a crock pot instead of leaving them on the stove.  I added carrots, a very large onion, a can of golden mushroom soup and enough water to almost cover the ducks.  I let them simmer on low for 3 hours and then finished them on high for an additional 2 hours.  The meat fell off the bones.

The recipe called for "liberal" amounts of Cajun seasoning.  For my taste, I was either not liberal enough, or I had too much water in the pot.  So, after they came out, I added more directly to the skin.  Very tasty.

Now, was it the best I ever ate?  Not quite, but it was not shabby either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks