Deer Day 5 - Sat 11 OCT

Alex and I headed for the field at 0630 - after scraping the frost off the truck.  Nick did not go as he is fighting a headache (allergies & weather).  It was 38F with very little wind.

I had previously called Vice and received permission to archery hunt his tree farm.  So, I dropped Alex off (after drawing a map) and sent him toward the creek.  I drove on around and walked to about the same location as last night, the NE corner of Marshall's woods on top.

Today was the day Purdue played Michigan State.  We had an opportunity to sit on the 50 yd line, row six, right behind the Purdue bench.  We gave that up for hunting.  We think we made the right call, but others may disagree.  That's okay.  The tickets were enjoyed by Cuz Shane, his wife, daughter and her boyfriend.  I'm positive they liked the game more than we would have.  We would have spent the entire time at the game thinking that we could have been in the woods...

It was DARK when we walked in.  Alex had to guess at where to sit, and chose a point between two deer trails.  I took this shot of the sunrise.

Sun coming up on Marshall's farm, E of Mulberry, Sat 11 OCT 2014.
You tell me - how can this compare to a football game?  I don't think it can.

The wildlife was really moving this morning.  I saw two owls, countless squirrels, doves, cardinals, blue jays, about 20 geese, 50 crows, but no deer.  Nothing that even resembled a deer.  I did relocate to the W of my previous spot, just in case the deer decided to come through the beans again.  Alex saw the same thing as me - no deer.

We bailed about 0900 and figured we should have dressed a little warmer.  It got chilly sitting out there in the shade waiting for deer to arrive.  Best guess is that they are still holed up in the standing corn.  We just have to get lucky enough to catch them traveling to and from their beds to and from food.  As of yet, we have not been that lucky.  The Good Lord willing though, we will have more opportunities.

Photo walking out through picked beans.  Trees are starting to change colors.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks