New Binos - Technical Review

So since I won't actually get to put them to a field test for another month and a half, I thought I would provide you with a technical review of my new Leupold BX-4 McKinley HD binoculars.  Here ya go...

Photo courtesy of Leupold & Stevens

Having owned a pair of Tasco 10X50 binoculars for several years, and borrowing a pair of Leupold's for last year's elk hunt, I knew I needed more.

I researched three sizes, 8X42, 10X42, and 12X50 - the first number is the magnification and the second number is the size of the lens (objective).  The 8X's are better for stability and faster target acquisition; but the 10X offer more range.  The 12's can get a bit shaky if you're not using a tripod.  I opted for the 10's.

I also researched numerous brands:

  • Nikon Prostaff 7 - 10X42 - $220
  • Bushnell Legend HD - 10X42 - $320
  • Leupold BX-3 - 10X42 - $410
  • Leupold BX-2 - 10X42 - $300
  • Swarovki - 10X42 - $2,400 (out due to price)
  • Steiner Predator Extreme - 10X42 - $380
  • Zeiss Terra ED - 10X42 - $400
  • and the ones I bought - Leupold BX-4 HD - 10X42 - $620
I looked at a few others, like Leica for example, but since they did not make the top ten of Outdoor Life's 2013's best hunting binocular list, I quickly crossed them off.

I also wanted a brand name I could trust.  Most, if not all, of those on my personal list fit that bill too.

I originally had the Zeiss at the top of my list due to price, but after reading several on-line reviews, it appears as though Zeiss has not yet figured out how to get a good product in this price range.  Their top end product, the Victory HD binocular, won best overall binocular, but again at the $2,300 sticker price.  Off my list quickly.  So the BX-4's it is.  I have them in my possession.

Seriously, there is no comparison between these Leupold's and the Tasco's, so I won't pretend there is.  The closest I might get you is say a Ferrari to a Vespa.

I'm also not going to pretend I understand all of these specifications or what they mean, but it translates like this:  these are the finest binoculars I have ever had the pleasure of looking through.

Technical specs (copied from Leupold):

  • Objective Diameter:  42 mm
  • Length:  6.1"
  • Weight:  29 oz
  • Center Focus
  • Proprietary nitrogen fill process
  • Fully multi-coated lens system
  • Field flatter lenses
  • 100% water and fog proof
  • Hydrophobic coating on external lens surfaces
  • BAK4 phase-coated roof prisms
  • Advanced HD lens system
  • Twist-up eye cups
  • Long eye relief
  • Strong, lightweight magnesium alloy chassis
  • Leupold Lifetime Warranty


The twist out eye cups allow me to use the binoculars with my glasses on or off.
The colors are clear.  The contrast is sharp.  Light transmission is impressive.  They are slightly heavier than the old Tasco's, but that's a small pittance for the better image.
They feel rugged and well-made.  And with the lifetime warranty, they should be.

According to their website (www.leupold.com), Leupold says,

"The new BX-4 McKinley HD binocular will not only change the way you see game, it changes the game completely.  The HD lenses provide amazing optical returns to deliver the most vivid colors and sharpest picture you can find, with a full flat field of view, across the entire visual field.  Add in Leupold's legendary rugged dependability and you may never need another pair of binoculars.  The closer you look, the more you'll see."

Looks like they're trying to play in the high-end market without the high-end price.  I'm happy with what I've seen so far.  I will tell you more after the elk hunt next month.  And yes, these are going with me on our safari to South Africa in early Spring 2015.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks