Deer Firearms - Day 12 - Sat. 23 DEC - Evening

Davey got permission to go out tonight, so I picked him up at 3:30 pm.  We went back to Marshall's S farm since we are seeing deer there.

Davey dropped me off at the S property line on the W end.  He drove back around to the square woods and set up a chair in the middle of the woods - where the deer ran through earlier today.

I walked W to E and sat on the S side of the swamp.  I kicked nothing out of the SW woods or the swamp when I walked in.  We sat until sunset, at which time I walked W through the swamp to try and push anything out to Davey.  No dice.  There was nothing in the swamp.

I then walked N along the E property line and sat until dark at the NE corner - Davey, at this point, has started walking S out of the woods.

And then the deer appear.  Ten of them.  All feeding from the W to the E at the W end of the swamp.  If I would have stayed there, I would have my pick of which deer to shoot.

Well, this does not sit well with Davey.  There are still 5 minutes worth of legal light left, so he charges them.  He takes four steps and then grunts with his deer call.  Repeat for 100 yards.  When he was within 200 yards of them, they had had enough and bolted.  It was good entertainment though.

We popped some tops and toasted our season.  Davey never busted a cap all year.  The Good Lord gave me two chances at harvesting some meat, but I failed.  And that's all on me.

Regardless, we saw some awesome sunrises and sunsets.  We got to commune with Mother Nature and the Lord's creation.  We witnessed all kinds of animals, creatures, and critters.  And we did it all with family and good friends.  Yep, another successful hunting season.

Truth be told, season does not actually end until Sunday, 24 DEC.  But we all have family obligations that will keep us from going out - and that's perfectly fine too.  We have some pretty understanding families that let us get out in the field as much as we do.  Couldn't do it without 'em.

Have a safe, wonderful, and merry Christmas everyone!

Sun going down on the square woods - facing W-NW.
Davey is in the middle of that there woods.

Sunset over the swamp on our last day of deer hunting 2017.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks