Goose Hunting 2017

So for the past three nights (up to the end of goose season) we have had about 20 geese fly into the pond late in the evening - like at last light.  They fly off again sometime between 8 - 8:30 am, according to Kathy who has witnessed this.

So I decide that the Saturday (second to last from season ending) to sneak over and poke a few.  In the midst of a conversation with Krueger, I mention this.  He's game.

So at 7:00 am, Krueger is at my door.  He walks over to Kathy's house and then due W to the pond.  I walk down the lane and hide over the berm at the ditch.  I can hear them clucking - they are there!

I do not have to wait long - boom!  Boom!  Boom!  Krueger unloads his gun and the honking intensifies.  I have two small flocks split me - the smaller flock flying N of me and the larger flock flying S of me.  I decide the S flock is mine.  I fire twice and watch two go down before the lane.  By the time I am on the third bird (legal limit) it is too far South and I am shooting too close to both the highway and the neighbor's house.  I do not fire.

I collect my geese and wander up to see how Krueger did.  He successfully landed three birds - and all three are in the middle of the pond.  Dang.  I get out the John Boat and crack the ice to paddle out and play "retriever" to collect the birds.

We snap a few pictures on the way back to clean them.  They are now in the freezer ready to be turned into Italian Goose sandwiches for our Texas prairie dog hunt next Summer.  Winning!

Five Geese and our weapons.  Mighty Tasty!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks