Deer Firearms - Evening Day 2 Sunday 19 NOV 2017

Kathy has joined me and RePhil at the golf course.  We meet up at 3:30 pm and head out.  It's 32F and the wind is still blowing at 15 mph.

Kathy heads to Hole #4's tee box - a location that gets her out of the wind.  RePhil heads E to Jenkins.  I take up a spot to the far N along Hole #14.

We sit for 2 hours, not seeing much.  Then, I spot a yearling running in the woods to the N.  This is not property we have permission to hunt, so I do not get too excited.  She finally works her way S and pops out around #14's green, 150 yards E of me.  I have less than 2 seconds before she is gone again.  Then three doe come running from the N.  They cross and stop at the same spot the yearling was standing @ 150 yards.

Note that I have stated 150 yards twice.  I know the distance.  But what do I do?  I get excited and put the crosshairs directly on a big doe.  And then I yank the trigger.  What am I, a rookie at this?  No, just happy to have deer in range and hopefully in the freezer.  It was not to be.  All I hit was paper airplane fuel (that's "air" for you non-MENSA members).  They all run back to the N.

In the meantime, RePhil has a HUGE deer heading E.  While he can see the large body, he cannot see any antlers through the woods.  It didn't matter anyways as it was across the creek on property we cannot hunt.

After we call it a day due to lack of light, Kathy admits that the one deer she saw came running in from Sigler's on the S.  It looked like it was heading NE or out of her range.  She had her gun leaning against a tree when it appeared at 75 yards in front of her.  While she tried to retrieve her gun, she knocked it over, causing enough noise to spook the deer off to the E.

Well, the Good Lord gave us chances to harvest some meat for the freezer, we just failed to hold up our end of the bargain.  Fitting metaphor....think about it.

Our philosophy is simple - any day spent out in the woods hunting is, by definition, a Good Day!

Looking back W from the top of Hole #14.
Look at all the water!

The shadows drape across Hole #12's tee box.
Much nicer day than yesterday, albeit much colder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks