Deer Firearms - Day 4 - Tuesday NOV 21

RePhil and I decided to try our luck at some other property this evening.  So he walked N and then E to sit on the Neal-Boyd property line about 400 yards N of Marshall's line, covering the field back to the W.  I walked down the road and onto Marshall's bottom ground / tree farm.  It was about 46F and the wind was kicking at 18 mph.  We just can't seem to dodge the wind this year.

I walked N, then up the hill to the standing corn - at about the same time that it started to rain.  Awesome, I thought, because the rain would be cover for any sounds that I might make stalking along the edge of the corn looking back into the woods.

RePhil texted to see how long the rain would last.  I pulled up the radar on my phone.  It appeared to be rain turning to snow, so I told him to sit tight, man up, and I would be pushing deer to his position shortly (I hoped).

I walked the entire edge of the field, in the rain / freezing rain.  By the time I got to where RePhil should be N of me, I stopped to text - I wanted him to not shoot S and pick me off.  I needn't of worried.  He was already back at the truck!  What???

It turns out that RePhil thought I had bailed due to the rain and was sitting at the truck drinking beer.  Now I ain't sayin' that such an event has not occurred in the past.  It may have.  But not this time.  I was being a good dog and trying to show him some deer.  All the while, HE was in the truck drinking beer.  What a giant whimp!

By the time I made it back to the truck there was still about ten minutes of "legal" shooting light.  That did not matter.  It was so dark due to the rain / snow clouds that we could see nothing.  And I was thoroughly wet.  We enjoyed a few cold brews and laughed at being idiots for hunting in this weather.  Makin' Memories, that's for sure.

Sneaking N through Marshall's bottoms / tree farm.

Up top now, sneaking along the edge of the corn field.
The rain has started coming down very hard now.

We're right in the middle of that blue section - freezing rain / snow.
And the wonderful wind is blowing due E into our faces.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks