Finally Getting CRP Funded in 2016

So back in October, I began working with the local United States Division of Agriculture (USDA) Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) office in Frankfort.  All good people, but having some personnel turn-over issues.  Silly me, I thought that 6 months would be plenty of time to work through getting signed up for a conservation program in the Spring.

In October, I signed a document stating my intent that I wished to have CP-33 (an upland bird buffer) around my N, E, and W property boundaries.  In turn for taking that land out of crop production, the government would pay me approximately $250 / acre.  That's an okay deal all around.  I have to provide the seed and labor and must maintain the buffer for ten years.

If you recall, two years ago we planted 1,350 trees and about 4 acres of prairie grass / wild flowers.  I did NOT enroll that into a government program because I wanted to maintain total control over what happened with that acreage.

Back in about February, I called to check on progress.  The USDA office had completed the paperwork, but needed the soil map from the NRCS biologist.  Now there used to be 2 biologists.  One quit to take a job at Purdue, so we now have one.  I was told that I would get my data round about late April at the earliest.  I expressed my concerns that this would be too late as the crops would already be planted.  Too bad.  I suggested we just plan on planting CP-33 in 2017.  You'd have thought I called her baby ugly.  That was unacceptable since I signed an intent letter.  I had no recourse other than plant crops if we would not be paid in 2016, says I.  We left it at a stalemate.

Low and behold we have a Pheasants Forever chapter meeting.  Our habitat chairman asked how much seed and why types of legumes I wanted to plant this year.  I told him of my issues with the local office.  Our PF regional biologist was present.  He took it upon himself to visit the office and get the details.  He came out to the farm on Tuesday and inspected the area.  He created the seed / legume / wild flower mix that was appropriate and placed my order.

It looks like I will be planting 3.5 acres (a 30' strip around the border of my property) of prairie grasses and wild flowers.  The intent is three-fold:  contain the water run-off; create habitat for upland birds and insect pollinators (and probably deer, squirrels, rabbits, snakes, skunks, coyotes, mice, etc); and delineate my property boundary.  I think we can accomplish all three.

Now I have to rent the seeder again - which, at the same time we will use to plant Alex and Kathy's yard.  Then we have to get a tractor that will pull it - last time we used the old John Deere.  And then we are off to plant again.  Guess I'd better let the farmers know it's coming.

I'll take pictures and post them when it warms up enough and finally dries out so we can actually plant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks