Muzzle Loading Ends - Deer Day 24

I returned to get Dave at 3:45.  It's up to 37 F with more wind, but still from the SE.  Please note that at 37 degrees, the top inch of soil will thaw and stick to anything that touches it.

We drove out to Marshall's N farm and switched positions.  This time I sat in the finger and Dave walked the bottoms.

Dave saw 3 doe sneaking through the bottoms at about 5 pm and got up to chase them to me.  The three turned into 5 and the 5 to 7.  Dave came up the top and attempted to get the deer to run out the finger - where I would have a shot.

No such luck.  They turned and ran SW, right past where we parked the truck - all seven of them.

No shots were fired.  And so the season ends...

Sun set on the last day of muzzle loading season, Sunday, 21 DEC 2014.
Taken from the killing finger on Marshall's N farm.

We still have until the first Sunday in January for those who wish to hunt with a bow and arrow.  I suspect that I will just leave it as zero deer for me this year.  Not that I didn't have my chances.  I made a poor shot on a small doe and then didn't have my gun closed on the largest buck I've seen in the wild.  Can blame it only on myself.  I'm not sad though.  It was a great season!

Every day in the woods is a gift, and you never know when your last one will be.  I did my best to enjoy each and every one of them.  And I look forward to many more if the Good Lord is willing.

Back at the truck to toast another deer season.


I doubt that I'll be posting much from here on out.  Those who have subscribed will get emails alerting you to updates.  Everyone else will just have to check in occasionally to see if I've published any pearls of wisdom you can't live without.  Until then....Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours.  May be blessings of God accompany you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks