Deer Day 22 - Thursday, 18 DEC

RePhil and I met at the golf course at 7:00 am.  Legal light is not until 7:30, so we sat in the truck and BS'ed until light enough to see.  It's 24 F with very little wind.

We walked in on top of Hole #9 and I sat over-watching #5.  RePhil walked on E to Jenkins' property.  Along the way, he saw a nice, fluffy coyote walking N to S.  He stopped and whistled, but the 'yote was too far away for a shot.

RePhil sat on the NE corner of Jenkins and had a +150 class 8-pointer walk in from the W.  Two problems: (A) it was on the wrong property to shoot, and (B) RePhil has already filled his buck tag.  Thus, at 40 yards, all RePhil could do was watch this regal buck strut his stuff and disappear into the pine trees.

Me?  I didn't see squat!  Not a squirrel, bird, chipmunk, NOTHING.  It's like we are on a nuclear waste dump or something.  Maybe the word is out - don't go on the golf course or you'll get killed.

Our original plan was for RePhil to walk out along the N property line at 9:30 in an attempt to scare something my way.  That all went to Hell when the trappers showed up at 9:00.  They ran the pond on Hole #6, then on to Hole #18, then back to Hole #17.  Wish I'd have known they were coming, I would have set up on the S end at Hole #4.  Oh well, not begrudging them - they got a job to do same as me.

We walked out as we had come in and made it back to the truck by 10:00.  I went home and thawed out elk stew that Krueger and Dad joined me in consuming.  RePhil had to go to work.

We met back up at 4:00.  It's a whopping 27 degrees F, but again no wind.  This time I did go to Hole #4.  RePhil went to his stand on Jenkins.  This time neither of us saw a thing.

I was reminded about why it is not a good idea to "let one rip" while wearing insulated coveralls.  For those of you who have experienced this phenomenon, you know I suffered in silence.  For those of you who have not, think about this:  there are three openings on coveralls and hot air tends to rise.  With no way to escape THROUGH the coveralls, it tends to head directly up and out the top.  I think I'll hold on to them in the future...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks