Deer Day 21 - Sunday, 14 DEC

Hey, welcome back y'all....just returned from Cancun and hit the woods....

I picked up Davey at 6:45 am and we headed to Marshall's.  We saw 2 doe trying to cross the road in front of us as we traveled.  Our hope was that this would NOT be the only deer we saw today.

It was kind of foggy / misty with a slight wind from the SW and 45 F.  We walked into the woods by 7 and it was still dark.  Legal shooting light today was 7:30 am.

I heard some noises in the woods that could have been deer; or it could have been a giraffe; or it might have even been a chupacabra.  What?  Don't know about the chupacabra?  See here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra

The mystical and somewhat mythical chupacabra


Behold!  Two opossums came by - close enough that I could have tapped them on the head with my muzzle loader barrel.  The first one saw my hand move and hissed.  The second one had no clue I was there.  Thank goodness it wasn't a chupacabra 'cause I only had one shot before it turned into a knife fight.

I heard one shot to the West around 8:15, but never saw a deer.  For a while, I thought we were loading Noah's Ark:  2 deer on road, 2 'possums; 2 blue jays...but then 40 million crows and at one time, 5 squirrels in my field of view.  Three took to chasing each other around.  Amazing how similar they sound like running deer in the woods.  Damn squirrels.  Oh well, they were entertaining for a while.

I texted Dave about 9:30 to learn what he was seeing.  Same as me = nothing.  He slowly walked my direction and pushed a small doe (very small) past me at 40 yards on the move.  I knew that I was about to see (A) a coyote, (B) a chupacabra, or (C) a Dave.  Sure enough it was the latter strolling through the woods.

We popped a brewski and lamented about how much better they would taste if I'd have remembered to grab the salami that was sitting in my fridge.

I have to work most of this week, but will attempt 4 more outings before muzzle loading season ends for the year.  Stay tuned....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks