Smokin' Some Meats & Peppers

Tony Sykes handed me a bag of chilis, jalapenos, and banana peppers at work on Thursday.  I had already pulled out ribs to smoke on Saturday since Sandy would be working (and she enjoys neither peppers or smoked meat).

I figured, what the heck, the smoker is going, so what else could I throw on.  I landed on a pork loin and two Cornish hens.  All the following were smoked at 200F internal air temperature.

I put the ribs in 8 hours before eating time.  I turned them at 2 hours in the smoker.  At 4 hours, I pulled them and put them in an aluminum foil pan filled with beer and BBQ sauce.  They went back on for 4 more hours.  This, of course, was after they had marinated in apple juice for two days.  I also coated them with a Southwest Char mix we had in the cabinet.  This turned them black, but they were not burnt.  The taste was awesome - but I should have pulled them off sooner as they were just a tad on the dry side.

The loin I covered in a rib mix and cooked until the internal temp was 155F (a little under 2 hours).  I pulled it and wrapped it in aluminum foil.  This went into the oven to rest.

The hens were patted dry, covered with olive oil and then dry zesty Italian seasoning.  The innards were stuffed with onions and jalapenos.  I smoked them until the internal temp at the breast bone reached +150F (which took a little more than 2 hours).

The peppers took a long time to prep.  I cut them in half, washed them, and then stuffed them.  The jalapenos were stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon.  On top of that I threw on McCormick's Southwest seasoning.  I grilled some venison sausage and mixed it with cream cheese.  I stuffed the banana peppers and some jalapenos with that mixture and then topped them with onions.  A few banana peppers I left whole to smoke as is.  All of those I smoked for one hour.

I cut up the remaining banana peppers, jalapenos and chilis and tossed them in a pan with onion slices, beer, and BBQ sauce.  This I cooked for 2 hours covered and 4 hours uncovered in the smoker.  This was our topping for the pork loin.

Yes, this was a TON of food for 3 people (Kathy & Alex joined in.  Nick & Shelby were at the Garth Brooks concert).  But now we have leftovers for another 3 or 4 meals.

The meats.  Starting at the 6 o'clock position is one of the Cornish hens.
Moving up to 9 is the sliced pork loin - the remainder on the plate.
At the 2 o'clock position are the blackened ribs.
Note the juices all flowing on the cutting board!


Here is what is left of the smoked peppers.
At the bottom is the lone banana pepper, whole.
Moving up are the jalapenos wrapped in bacon - stuffed with cream cheese.
Then we have the sausage / cream cheese stuffed jalapenos and banana peppers at the top.
(And on the plate at the far top is the second Cornish hen, whole).
We voted the bacon-wrapped jalapenos as the best.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks