Planting CRP - Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Ok, ok, I know - I'm way behind in publishing these updates.  Mea Culpa.

I left Indy just after 2 pm that Tuesday.  I went home, changed clothes and was at the SWCD (Soil & Water Conservation District) office to get the seeder drill at 3:30 (rental unit).  Low and behold, it does not take a ball (even though I had taken with me both a 1 & 7/8" and 2" ball).  No, it takes a flat bar to tow.

I drove down the street to Dave's Body Shop (shout out) and had them use an impact wrench to take off the ball.  Back to connect the drill.  I signed the appropriate paper work and headed home.

I got back and noticed that I required a hydraulic line in the back of the tractor to raise and lower the drill.  No dice.  My new Kubota has only hydraulic pick-ups in the front.  A quick call to Lahrman's and they said they'd be right over.  Within 20 minutes, I had a "borrowed" tractor from the Lahrman's that did the job.

We hooked up the drill and ensured that it was functioning properly and I took off to plant the CRP.  Technically, I am planting CP33 - which consists of tall switch grass, forbes, legumes, and wild flowers.  This is for several reasons - first, it helps with water run-off; second, it provides habitat for God's creatures; third, it provides for pollinators (the wild flowers); and finally, it sets a boundary between properties.  We all win!

So here I am towing a drill around my property planting 4.2 acres of seed - and I'm starting at 6 pm.  I get finished at 9 pm after having Alex plant his field too.  He and I take the tractor back to the Lahrman's farm lot.  And then I got to clean the drill.  I had to sweep out all the unused seed so it was clean for the next use.  And then, I returned the drill to Frankfort.

I got home and stepping into the shower at 11:05 pm.  And all of this was with modern machinery.  Granted, the drill was only 6' wide, but still, I can't imagine how the farmers of old ever made it.  In the end, I drug that 6' drill 1.375 miles to plant my field.  That does not include turn-arounds and water ways.  Let's hope the end product is worth it.  Pictures coming when it gets up and the flowers bloom.

Here is a shot of a similar seed drill.
You can see multiple bins for different seed types.
It works pretty well.
But they ain't cheap.  Renting is the way to go.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks