A Partial Identity Theft???

So I get an email at my personal account (Gmail, not personal server like some presidential candidates).  Said email says that my reservations to the Four Points in Cocoa Beach, Florida have been changed to include not only Robert Seager, but also Helen Endres.  AND, it has been confirmed with a credit card and there is a $108 cancellation notice.

I figure this is a phish.  No way it can be real.  So I leave my email and look up the Four Points hotel (by Sheraton).  The phone number is the same.  I call them.  Son-of-a-biscuit, I DO have reservations!  Sandy is wondering how I expect to (a) get to Florida over the Fourth, and (b) not get caught charging it to our credit card.  And just who is Helen?



At this point, I ask the hotel to cancel the reservation.  They cannot.  It was confirmed with Booking dot com.  I have to call them.  Well okay.  I do.  I tell them of my plight and ask what credit card was used to confirm the reservation.  I am put on hold.  After a few minutes, I get the reservation cancelled at no charge and the last four digits of the Master Card that was used to confirm the room (king sized bed).    I guess me and Helen are pretty close after all.

I check all our our credit cards.  None of the numbers match.  I call Master Card (yes, it's a Capital One card - what's in your wallet?).  They confirm that I do not have any charges and that I have never had a card with those numbers.  They also say that if there is any fraud, I will pay $0 as long as I contest the charges.

So what gives?  I recently sent my credit card information to South Africa so they could ship my trophies.  I thought maybe that information was stolen.  But nope.  That was a Visa card.

I have no idea how my name and email address got used to confirm a hotel in Cocoa Beach with Helen.  But I will tell you this, when she shows up on Sunday, 04 JULY, she is going to be setting off her own fireworks because her reservation no longer exists!  Poor Helen.

But shout out to both Booking.com and Master Card.  They were pleasant, professional, and handled all my issues without the slightest hint of frustration.  Great customer service within both organizations.  Bravo!  I can say that I have never used Booking.com before, but with what I just experienced, I would not hesitate to use them in the future - for the first time - ever.

Now there is this one retired Lilly guy living in Florida....Cocoa Beach is just across the bridge from Merritt Island, Mr. Holt - or shall I say, "Helen!"  You playin' funnies???


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks