Clean Fire Pit with ShopVac?

Great idea.  Poor execution.  

We have a fireplace in our home.  No mystery to anyone who knows us.  When we burn, the ashes remain in the fireplace, but we have a trap door and we can scoop the ashes into a pit below (in the basement).  All is good and well until said ash pit fills up.  It's full now.  Last time it was cleaned out?  20 years or more.  So yep, we got a lot of ashes down in that pit.

Instead of opening up the door to the pit down in the basement, scooping out ashes into 5 gallon buckets and hauling them out through the house, I got the great idea that I could vacuum them out. So I took the top off my ShopVac (TM) vacuum and installed it on top of an old trash barrel.  I cut a hole in the lid and used duct tape to make a good seal.  I cut a hole in the side and stuck in the hose.  It worked, but it lacked power.

Please note that I set this contraption Outside, in the back of the Gator and then ran just the hose through the window.  My goal was to keep all the ashes and dust Not in the house.


My jank / homemade giant ShopVac


Hose running through window and into fireplace.

Next, my hose was not long enough, so more duct tape to another hose (differing sizes).  All is going well until I hear the motor start to whine.  Thinking it's full, I use the fireplace poker to reach out the window and shut off the vacuum.  I then inspect the barrel.  Nope, not full at all.  Barely 2" of ash in the bottom.  But now I have all that ash inside the vacuum motor and circuitry.  The on/off button barely moves at all now.  Well done, I say to myself.  

Next plan is to hire some young kid to start scooping ashes out of the basement pit...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks