Added Close to 10 miles at Amp

Krueger and I headed out after work Tuesday evening to get some laps in at the Lafayette Amphitheater.  The air temperature was close to 70F (21 C) and the winds were steady at 12 mph (19 kpm).  We arrived about 3:45 and put in 3 laps in an hour and 20 mins.

It was just last August when I picked up mountain biking as an exercise.  On my first trip to The Amp, I couldn't even complete ONE lap without stopping to catch my breath.  This trip I put in three laps, didn't stop on the first lap at all and I kept my heart rate average to 145 bpm over the entire 10 miles.  Oh I'm still not good by any stretch, but I can see improvement!


While we rode, we took some time to reflect on what I have learned since August:

  • Have good equipment, especially a good bike
  • Look up ahead on the trail, not down.  You are sure to hit a tree if you are looking at it.
  • Wear padded shorts, your butt will Thank You
  • Lean forward going uphill and lean back going downhill
  • Shift gears often and stay in the highest gear possible, especially uphill
    • A higher gear makes it harder to pedal, being tougher on your legs, but is easier on your lungs since you do not require as many revolutions to travel the same distance
  • Having a beer after a long ride probably is not the best form of hydration but it sure tastes mighty good and is quite refreshing


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks