Authentic Indian Flint-Knapped Knife goes Home

I am pretty confident that Tanner does not read this blog, so it will not spoil the surprise for him by sharing with y'all…

In 2015, on our prairie dog trip to New Mexico, we stopped by Tanner's grandpa's house and chatted with Papa Howard.  Yes, sure, we hunted prairie dogs there too.  But during the visit, Papa Howard gave me a gift - a flint-knapped knife made by an American Indiana Papa Howard knew growing up.

I told Tanner that I could not accept such a gift.  That knife should remain in the family.  However, I was told under no certain terms that if I refused the gift, I would insult Papa Howard and he would not forgive me - ever.  So as graciously as possible, I accepted the gift.

Said knife has been hanging on the wall in my home office ever since returning from that trip.  It sure has been a great conversation starter.

Each year since, we have 'run into' Papa Howard while out and about or one time even at the cabin.  He was full of stories and knowledge.  He told us about every single saddle in the cabin, where it came from, how much each one cost, and what type of riding it was made for.  He knew politics.  He shared growing up stories, graduation, the Great War, talking on the phone for the first time, and on and on.  He was never without a story to share.  Such a neat guy and a wonderful treasure.

Sadly, this past December, Papa Howard took his final walk, upward and inward through the pearly gates to be with his beloved bride.  And their first meeting is yet another wonderful story we heard.

Well now that I cannot offend Papa Howard, I am returning the knife to Tanner, where I think it needs to be.

So I took some unfinished walnut (live edge) and built a box.  I stuffed it with foam and covered the foam with white linen.  I set a block up on the bottom to tilt the box backward and then put a stop on the back to keep it from sliding.  The whole thing is kept in with pins and double-sided tape.  I finished the box with bee's wax.  I specifically did not put glass or plexi-glass on the front so that people can actually touch the knife.  It is awesome.  What skill to create such a piece!

Sure hope Tanner enjoys it like I did...

Authentic American Indiana flint-knapped knife circa early 1900's.
Deer antler bone handle with a running rabbit carved into it.
Held together with deer sinew.
Purely awesome.


UPDATE:
Tanner received the knife and was very appreciative.  He said that it was very special and one of the nicest gifts he had ever received.  He respected and loved Papa Howard as one of the best men he has ever known.  May we all be that blessed.
Tanner has the knife on display next to other items that Papa Howard has given him, old pottery and spurs.  They look really good together and are sure to remind Tanner of all the great memories of Papa Howard.  I think I did the right thing returning the knife.

Knife on display in Tanner's home next to other Papa Howard treasures!




Comments

  1. Well played. Good call.
    Sad to hear about Papa Howard. He certainly was a lovable character. Glad that I had the privilege of meeting him on that one occasion - same visit when he gave you that knife, el patrón.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks