Huntin' Yotes 25 JAN

I thought I had plenty of time because the wife was working until 10.  Well I was wrong.  She got home at 6 to a dark house and no note on my where-abouts.  I was up 'Nort calling in coyotes.  My bad.

I picked up Krueger at 4 pm.  We drove up NE of Delphi around Burnettsville to the LT's place along the river.  It was about 25F (-4 C) with 15 mph winds.  That puts the wind chill at 12 degrees.  What does Krueger do?  He puts me up 15' in the air into a deer stand.  Oh, the wind wasn't blowing up there, no!  I did get to see 30 deer, 19 turkeys, and tons of geese landing on the river.  Alas, no coyotes on the first set.

We walked across the property to the SW and sat along a small ditch, hiding ourselves in the tall grass.  We called for maybe 25 minutes with no luck and were running out of light.  Krueger hit the 'pups in distress' call and BAM!  A coyote came on a dead sprint right at us across a picked corn field.  Krueger spotted him first.  I moved to shoot N, as I was facing W.  I was hidden behind a clump of tall grass.  The coyote stopped 49 yards away (I stepped it off).  He fell to a suppressed 6.5 Creedmoor round to the center chest.

We took some photos and then packed up almost everything (when we got back to the truck, Krueger had left his scope caps where we called).  As we walked out, we saw FRESH tracks about 25 yards to the S of where we sat.  It appeared as though a second coyote had come into the call, but due to our sight line, we never saw it.  Oh well, one in the bag.

Yes it was chilly, but yes, we had fun.  And about this time I get a text wondering where I am.  I ask for forgiveness and 45 minutes to get back home for dinner.  I had great plans.  I thought I had enough time to haul trash, do dishes, feed the cats, and cook dinner.  Nope.  Good thing she loves me!


Me & Krueger with a male coyote.
We sat to the right in the grass.  The 'yote came across from the upper left - fast!


No blood.  He was facing us.  The shot went into his chest, straight on.
FoxPro CS24C electronic call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks