Rabbit Stir Fry for Texas

As I was looking through the freezer to find something for dinner, I came upon some old rabbits.  Now "old" is a relative term.  I freeze all of our wild game in freezer bags full of water.  This helps eliminate freezer burn by removing all of the air.  The other option is to vacuum pack everything - except I do not own a vacuum sealer.  Thus the water.  Works great.

I thawed out the bunnies.  I lost less than 2 square inches due to freezer burn.  I threw them in the pressure cooker for 1 hour.  I let them cool and then peeled all the meat from the bone.

Next step was to make stir fry from the now cooked rabbit meat.  I cut up the onions and carrots and tossed them into the pan first, as they take the longest to cook.  I added broccoli, cauliflower, corn, green beans, and soup.  Now generally I like to put in cream of mushroom soup, but I accidentally grabbed French Onion Soup.  I noticed this oversight AFTER I had poured it into the mix.  Oh well, it ought to add a little bit of flair to the stir fry.

Of note:  I did add extra water to the mix for two reasons.  First, to cut the soup mix, and second to counteract the freezing process.  If you make it runnier than usual, after freezing and thawing, I should not have to reconstitute with more water.

Then I finally added the rabbit and let it all boil together for 15 minutes.  As far as seasoning goes, I put in garlic powder (I used all our garlic cloves in the gravy for breakfast the other day), black pepper, and red pepper flakes.  I stay away from any salts (seasoning, sea, or regular) due to the Teriyaki sauce.  It has tons of sodium already and if you add salt, the mix can become too salty.

The end result is pretty awesome looking.  We will not know how it tastes until we get to our cabin during the annual prairie dog hunt.  Regardless, we know that Krueger is not allowed to have any.  Why, you ask?  Because French Onion soup does not agree with Michael's intestines.  We have already had an instance where we stopped the vehicle to force him out after previously eating the soup.  Sorry dude, you get ham sammiches that night.

So our menu, right now, stands at Italian goose, rabbit stir fry, and snapping turtle soup.  Fixin' to be some fine eatin' on this trip!

Big ole batch of rabbit stir fry!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks