Patterning my new Winchester SX4 Shotgun

The weather finally cooperated enough to allow me to pattern my shotgun - the first ever shots fired since obtaining it in mid-February.



I set up plastic table covering at 25 yards and put a sticker on it for a point of aim.  Then all I had to do for subsequent shots is roll the covering away and put on another sticker.

I shot six choke tubes with multiple different shot loads.
The tubes were:  Modified, Improved Cylinder, Full, Black Cloud Mid-Range, Black Cloud Long-range, and Pattern Master Goose.
The loads were: 8's, 4's, 2's and BB's.

Since I figured that the majority of the shots would be 8's at doves, I shot every tube with 8's.  I then picked the top 3 tubes and shot the remainder of the loads through them.  Next would be 4's or 5's at pheasants and then finally BB's at geese.

Performance Results on 8's
The BC Mid shot fine.
The BC Long shot to the left.
The Goose was fine.
The Full choke shot low.
The Improved was fine.
And finally the Modified was fine.

Results from other rounds
I picked the BC Mid, PM Goose, and Modified for continuing the next phase.
And I could not tell a difference among the lot from 25 yards.  They all shot very well - putting the majority of the pellets center mass.

I also rotated shells.  I shot hand loads, Federal, Fiocchi, and Black Cloud brands.  And I can say that I did notice a difference in those rounds.  The Fiocchi seemed to shoot be best of all.



What will I shoot?
For doves it looks like the factory Modified choke tube with hand-loads will be more than adequate.
For pheasants and/or geese, it looks like the the Black Cloud Mid-Range with Fiocchi shells would be the best bet.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks