BakFlip Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover

I just finished installing the Bak Industries Revolver X2 tonneau cover on the truck.  Earlier this week it was almost 70 F, and today, 26.  Perfect for working outside!  And look at the pictures - there is snow in the bed of the truck.  Thanks Mother Nature!

Why do I need a new cover, you ask?  Well, Mama bought me a new truck.  Of course it's a Ford F150.  Silver 2017 XLT.  I opted out of the Platinum model to get away from those damn automatic running boards.  I researched hard fiberglass tonneau covers as well as full toppers.  I saw the below product demonstrated at a dealer and liked that the rails lock all the way down the side of the truck bed.  It is aluminum with a vinyl covering on top.  It will withstand 400# of weight.  AND, it will roll away if I ever have to haul anything in the bed of the truck.  No more taking off covers and putting them back on.  Sweet!  Also, this thing is $600 less than fiberglass and $1,500 less than a topper.  I paid $960 with tax, free shipping, delivered to my door.

FedEx delivered the cover like so:

Cover in box.  Clock starts NOW in installation.


INSTALLATION
I started the clock as soon as I took the first picture of the cover in the box.  It was 3:52 pm.  I must confess, however, that I did watch the installation video the day I purchased the cover.  That seven minutes is not included in my time calculations.

I must say upfront that shipping was FAST.  I ordered the cover at about 10 pm on the 22nd.  It arrived today, the 25th at 1 pm.  And, the packing was superb.  Cut open both ends of the box and it unrolled to grant access to the entire crate.  Awesome.

I unpacked everything and removed all the plastic.  I then, in the most un-manly manner Read The Directions!  This cover went on quickly and without hassle.  I had considered calling in son or son-in-law to help, but decided I would keep all the beer for myself.  Thus, I installed this cover solo.

A few points to pick on relative to the instructions.  There was no guidance given as to where to install the front seal.  You just have to guess.  I put it about 1/2 an inch from the bed side.  This seemed to work fine, but come on, give me an idea here.  Secondly, there are four rubber bumpers that are supposed to be put on the rolled up cover to protect "something."  That something is clearly not the window of the truck, as the straps and the rails keep the cover from ever getting close to the window.  I must assume that it is to protect the top, but I am only guessing.  Improvements in those two areas would make the instructions complete.

The rails went on easy enough - although I was concerned that they were too long to let the tailgate close.  False alarm.  They were the perfect fit.  I rolled out the cover and installed the screws, loosely, so that I could adjust the top to a perfect fit.  No need to do that either as everything lined up perfectly.  I tightened everything down and tried it out.  All is fine.

Total time from start to finish:  38 minutes.  That does not include cleaning up the cardboard shipping supplies.  But WOW, that is quick!

I am a little disappointed in the straps that keep the cover rolled up.  They function just fine, but there is nothing for them to do but flop around in the back when the cover is down.  I see them getting stepped on or crushed by stuff we are going to throw in the back.  Bak needs to send two additional clips that could be installed on the underside of the cover to hold the straps when not in use.  Maybe when they read this blog they will consider making this revision to the next model.  That would be awesome.

I am pleased with the fit and finish.  It appears to be tough enough to withstand some abuse.  Time will tell if the vinyl cover lasts or not.  So stay tuned.  After some hunting trips I will tell you how it performed.

If you want to see a video of how it works, go here.

Right now I am giving this product my highest rating.  The shipping was FAST, the packaging was surprisingly helpful, the instructions were almost perfect, and the installation was as simple as it could ever be for one person.  Well done, Bak, well done!

Cover installed and closed in 38 minutes!
Notice the low profile.

Cover rolled half-way up to show you how it works.
Yes, that is SNOW in the bed of the truck.  
That's also my new Ford Explorer on the right. 
I told you, Mama is awesome!




Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    If someone want to learn more about tonneau covers, I think this is the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks