Cheers to Hornady!

Multiple years ago, for my birthday, I bought a Hornady Lock-n-Load AP progressive reloading press.  It feels like it's been about four years, so it has probably been 7.  Don't really recall.  What I do know is that I broke the drive hub - the bit that moves the shell plate from stage to stage.

Hornady's Lock-n-Load AP progressive reloading press


So, I did some research on YouTube to figure out how to get the dang thing apart.  There are some really good videos out there on how to disassemble these units.  Thank you to whomever authored those - they are awesome.  While watching, one guy noted that you are supposed to lubricate the drive hub about every 800 to 1,000 rounds.  What???  I have over 8,000 rounds through and I have NEVER lubed the hub.  Wonder why it broke?

Now, that being said, the two screws that hold the sub plate to the ram assembly - those little bastards are installed with about ten trillion foot pounds of force.  After stripping both heads, I was able to drill out one side.  For the other side, I pounded in a driver and then heated the entire thing with a torch.  I then used a cheater bar and cleanly snapped the DRIVER.

I ended up taking the whole thing back to Dad's shop.  We put it on the drill press and used 3-n-1 oil.  The only thing we succeeded in doing was dulling the drill bit.  Man that is some hard steel.  Then, and this is a $30 lesson, we used a punch to get some torque on the head and beat it out.  That worked great!

Ok, so now the whole thing is in pieces.  I must find replacements.  I did a search on Midway USA's website, as they are my 'go to' folks for about everything.  Items were back ordered and not expected to arrive until APRIL.  Not good.  So I just called Hornady proper and talked with tech support.

I told Hornady that I had snapped the drive hub and needed a replacement, along with two screws.  They took down the part numbers along with my information and then shipped them out for FREE.

Check that - for FREE!  No questions asked about WHEN I bought the reloader, how it happened, how many rounds through, did I lube it - Nothing.  They said they were sorry it happened and shipped me the parts no questions asked.

From Midway, I know that the parts would be about $20 total, plus shipping.  That is not the point.  The point is that Hornady stood behind their product - no questions asked.

Well played Hornady, well played.

Are there better reloaders on the market?  Most opinions would say Yes, the Dillion presses are the best.  However, they are also TWICE the cost.  For the money, and now for the service, I think that Hornady is a great choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks