Mistakes were Made - Mon 14 NOV

 Eric came over after work and he and I loaded up for the golf course, arriving about 4 pm.  Yes, it was still cold, but at least the wind had died down a bit.  As we got out of the truck, I grabbed my gloves, you know, the ones from Saturday's snow storm, and they were soaking wet.  I had dried, cleaned, and oiled the guns but did not pull my gloves out of my coat pockets to dry them.  Sadly, I walked into the woods without gloves.  Live and learn.  You know how you get good experience?  From bad experiences.  Check.

Eric walked S, then E, then N to the bottom of 15.  I waited for him to get settled before I walked in on 16, so if I were to bump something, it would hopefully run to him.  I saw nothing in the two hours we had remaining - except a beautiful sunset.  Eric had one doe walk up the property line and then head E, so not shots to be had.

Eric walked back to me along the cart path.  When he reached me, we were all but out of legal shooting light so I went to unload my rifle.  But alas, I did not have to unload it because I never loaded it!  How pissed would I have been to be out there with no gloves, a deer walks within range, and I go "click!"  Luckily I did not have to find out.

We called it a night.

Walking into the woods on Hole #16.
Photo facing sunset - to the SW

Sun almost gone.  Getting too dark to safely hunt.
Time to go warm up by the fireplace.

Phone in night mode.  That little shiny spec middle-middle of the photo?
That's Eric walking to me wearing his reflective hunter's orange vest for safety.
Shortly hereafter, I went to unload an already unloaded gun!

Now that's what I'm talking about!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks