A long drive & a short ride...

Krueger and I headed out early on Saturday, 03 APR.  Well, actually we headed out a little later than we wanted to because I was an idiot and set my alarm wrong.  Anyway, at 6:30 am we headed W to ride Kickapoo in Danville, IL.  And not only did I delay us, but then we ran into road construction that sent us on a detour along the way.

We finally arrived at Kickapoo about 8 am Indiana time, or 7 am Illinois time.  And we promptly found that the park was closed.  It was turkey hunting season in IL and the park was set aside for hunting until 1 pm.  Cool.  We have no issues with that, only wish we knew that before driving 90 minutes.  While we debated our next action, we watched the largest tom turkey I have ever seen walk across the highway toward the park.  As we gawked and exclaimed our amazement, the turkey took notice, turned around, and got out of Dodge post haste.  We took solace in knowing that maybe since the turkey hunters ruined our ride, we just ruined part of their hunt.

Next, we drove about another hour S to the Faye Pickering Memorial bike trail.  This was W of Marshall, IL and had been created around a man-made reservoir.  We made only the third vehicle in the parking lot and if you did not have a mapping program or sat. nav. you would have never made it there at all.  This place was in the boondocks.

We started on the 'easy' course to warm up.  It was about a 2-mile loop.  We took the second course that involved a bit more techincal aspects.  It was around 3 miles with some elevation change.

I was following Krueger down a ravine and into a 170 degree banked turn when he yelled out the caution, "Flooded!"  I very quickly found out what he meant.  The trail was holding water inside the turn.  I took the bank on the high side to avoid the water, but that threw off my balance.  I shifted in the seat and tapped the brakes coming out of the turn, but it was too late.  I was now high-centered going downhill.  That is never a good option.  Over the handlebars I went.  Luckily they grabbed my ribcage and slowed my descent.  I landed with my back against a tree, which stopped me from rolling down the ravine.  My only sustained injury was to my ribs (and one week later are still sore).

I picked myself up and continued riding.  A few turns later, Krueger yells out "Technical!" meaning this turn has a lot of technical aspects to it.  I hit the brakes.  Complete stop.  Off the bike.  I walked through the turn.  I got back on the bike following the turn and Kruger says, Probably a good call.  Ya think?

We rode on until the climb back up to the truck.  I could not go on.  I was wiped - and only after 4.8 miles!  I had no gas in the tank.  My legs hurt.  My lungs hurt.  I was done.  I caught up with Krueger who had stopped to chat with another biker.  I got out that I was spent.  The other dude says - it happens to us all.  We have good days and then not-so-good days.  This was a bad day for me.

Back at the truck, I climbed into the passenger seat and took a nap.  Krueger rode another ten miles.  We would probably still be there waiting for me to finish ten more miles that day.  

We drove home via Terre Haute and avoided the road construction.  We spent about 5 hours in the truck driving for less than 2 hours worth of riding, total.

Oh well.  Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.  I got eaten this day.


Trying to catch my breath after about only 4 miles of riding.  The beat ate me this day.
Should be the poster board for anyone wishing to ride mountain bikes.
Beautiful trails in a nice setting though.

The trails that Krueger rode on while I napped.  A little tight!

Should you wreck here - you're going to get wet.

Craig's ride at Faye Pickering Memorial trail
1 - the location of my wreck
2 - the turn I walked through
3 - the approximate location of me passing out


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks