Raspberry Deer Loin

Yes, you read that correctly - Raspberry Deer Loin.

In the July-August 2020 edition of Bugle magazine published by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, there is a recipe for "Elk Loin with Blackberry Sauce."  Originally published by Kristy Crabtree.

I am out of elk loin, so I did the next best thing and substituted deer loin.  No fresh blackberries?  No worries - we have plenty of fresh raspberries on the farm.  Another good substitute.  Besides, grandkids Will and Hadley helped Grandma and me pick them (although I think more ended up on the ground than in our bucket from their "help."  Not that it matters one bit.  Making memories!).

So tonight I prepared the dish, as modified, and shared it with Dad, Kathy, Alex, Nick & Shelby.

Was it good?  You bet.  However, I do not think the work it takes outweighs just having grilled deer loin.  Of course I make a killer grilled deer loin - so that's part of it.

Ok, here goes:  the modified recipe I took from Kristy Crabtree...

Ingredients
  • 1.5 - 2# deer loin
  • 2 cups fresh raspberries (washed)
  • 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 4 tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp ground rosemary
  • 2 tbsp salted butter

I soaked the deer loin in Coca-Cola for 2 full days.  This takes out any of the "gamey-ness," pre-cooks the meat (due to the acid), and sweetens it as well (due to the corn syrup).  I put the loins on a hot grill.  I added seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and Teriyaki sauce as it cooked to a medium-rare temp.

For the sauce, I heated the raspberries over medium heat until they released their juice ( < 5 min).  I added the vinegar, honey, wine, and rosemary and let it continue to cook until reduced.  I reduced it until it stuck to the back of a metal spoon - approx. 15 mins.  I strained the sauce through a clean cotton dish towel (as we do not have a strainer).  I returned the sauce to the pan and added the butter until melted.  This I served over the deer loin, accompanied by a few fresh raspberries.

I made the mistake of tasting the sauce before it was reduced.  It was bitter due to the vinegar.  However, after cooking to reduction, it became sweet and flavorful.  I would say that I had more meat than sauce and would increase this sauce recipe by 1/3rd more next time.

Did any of it go to waste?  Oh, heavens no!  But I am not sure I will reproduce this due to the effort.  The juice is just not worth the squeeze to me.  Now those who did not have any time in the preparation may have a different view.  I will leave that up to them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Winchester SX3 / SX4 Shotguns

Winchester SX4 Trigger Assembly Update

Determine Sex of Deer from Tracks